Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior door threshold height

CAL

09-06-15, 10:26 AM   #1  
Exterior door threshold height

Hi,

by threshold height I'm referring to the thickness of the threshold in terms of the height the top of the interior side will be above finished floor.

It seems like this varies. On my front door (builder special) the interior side of the threshold is only about 1/4" above the tile floor (although the tile + thinset may be a little thicker than usual in my case).

On my rear door (Pella) the threshold is about 1" above the subfloor. This would allow for hardwood floor install but in the case of the front door this might be a problem.

Is there a typical height for this or do the higher end doors have taller thresholds to allow for hardwood floor install?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-06-15, 11:11 AM   #2  
Its common for most doors to have roughly 1 1/4" of height from the bottom of the door frame to the door bottom (as it swings open) but this can vary from brand to brand.

Doors are most often set on the subfloor. If you know there is going to be a wood floor or 1/2" cement board and 1/2" of tile you can sometimes plan ahead and set the door higher (putting a piece of 1/2" plywood in the RO before you set the door) so that once you put a rug in front of the door it will not drag on the rug.

Search this Thread