Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Am I installing a pocket door or rehanging drywall?

Old 09-07-15, 12:03 PM

Good afternoon

I'm having a bit of a problem determining whether or not I should continue hanging a pocket door, or covering the wall back up with drywall.
If you can see from the attached photos the corner is double studded, then there are four more studs for the interior closet and the sides, and this is attached to a bathroom. The top appears to be non load bearing, just a single plate, but I haven't got that far up.

I will have to move at least one water line regardless, as it is on the other side of the stud. Someone, save the previous owner, nicely cut a hole in the sole and left it there. Its leaking my cold air into the wall cavities.

I'm also going to have to extend the left side of the wall in approximately 12 inches in order to accommodate a 36 inch door. Otherwise I am looking at a 48 inch pocket door. I simply do not have the space to swing that far into the wall, although I did consider doing something funky with a pocket door and a French type one side.

Does anyone see anything here that would prevent me from installing a pocket door. Thanks kindly

http://imgur.com/a/E3AuE

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-15, 01:15 PM
I think you need to leave the two studs that are the nailers for the the drywall on the closet side wall. So you can remove the two studs on either side of the hole in the floor. Does that give you enough room for the door?

Your idea of building out the other wall to reduce the opening is fine, but if you want the 48 inch opening I'd consider two 24 inch doors, meeting in the middle.

I highly recommend using solid core doors for pocket doors. They give it a quality feel that typical pocket doors just don't have. This does mean you should use heavy duty track with ball bearing rollers, but that's a good idea anyway as it is much more durable and the doors roll smoother. It also blocks sound better, which may or may be a factor for you. Finally, when I order the kit, I always order extra half studs and space them on 8" centers. This makes the drywall a lot more solid.

Old 09-07-15, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately, no, I don't think it will. I am considering adding a switched outlet light for the closet but I've got a spider sense there's a code restriction on that...

The double stud I was worried about was a jack and king. Cut into the header to find cripples.

I could do the 48" but the plumbing... Well... What's another room torn up.