Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gluing curtain brackets

GA

09-12-15, 08:02 AM   #1  
Gluing curtain brackets

I recently replaced the front entry door with a new one, this includes new sidelights. I wanted to install sheer curtains over the glass in the sidelights. However, I am told that if I screw the curtain brackets in above and below the sidelights, the screw holes will void my warranty. Is there any kind of glue I can use to glue the brackets instead of nail them. The curtains are sheer and the rod is only about 4" wide so there is not much weight. I need a glue that will hold the brackets in place but won't damage the sidelight surface if I ever take the curtains down and pull the hardware off.

Last edited by GregInGA; 09-12-15 at 08:23 AM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-12-15, 09:40 AM   #2  
If the door is steel, you could use strong rare earth magnets.

If wood or fiberglass, I would look at the 3m Command adhesive hooks. These are designed to hold well but remove without damage. They make a variety of sizes and styles.

It's a bit ridiculous, if you ask me, that a couple of tiny screw holes would void the warranty unless it's a steel door, in which case the holes can lead to rust and damage of the finish. What brand is the door?

Group Moderator

NJ

09-12-15, 09:45 AM   #3  
A friend of mine had a similar issue although he just didn't want to drill any holes. He picked up some magnetic curtain rods that work pretty well. Similar to the link. They can be cut for narrower applications.

Magne-Miracle-Magnetic-Rod-Adhesive/dp/B000S0XNPQ

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-12-15, 12:16 PM   #4  
Send us a link to which door so we can review the warranty with you. I also find it hard to believe a couple of small holes will make a hoot of a difference.

Is there a wood pattern or stain grade finish on the inside? If hot, you could easily mask a couple of holes with a center punch to dimple the hole and fill with bondo to mask. Sand and paint and you would never know there ever was a hole. Like repairing a dent in your car, seamless.

NY

09-13-15, 04:01 AM   #5  
Clear silicone sealant is an excellent adhesive for this purpose. This is from Dow Corning but you can use any brand. http://www.dowcorning.com/content/pu..._factsheet.pdf

GA

09-13-15, 07:09 AM   #6  
That's a pretty good idea. I assume you are talking about something different than silicone caulk. Any specific product you can suggest/where to buy?

NY

09-14-15, 04:21 AM   #7  
Yes, clear silicone caulk. I use GE available at HD etc.

Search this Thread