Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Closing a 0.5 inch gap between door and door frame

Old 09-16-15, 01:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Dear all,

When our balcony door is closed, there is still about a 0.5 inch (1 cm) gap remaining between the door and the Frame, in the upper part of the door(see photo attached).

1. I want to close the gap by adding a part/device that when "closed", pushes the door towards the frame. It will be an extra lever/part of some sort that will need to be opened/closed when opening and closing the door itself. The solution has to be practical enough, as to allow the frequent opening/closing of the door.

2. My less preferred option is adding additional rubber/foam insulation - however, ideally it will be some sort of insulation that takes the shape of the gap it is looking to fill (this is a fairly wide/long gap).

Does anyone have an idea what part/device can work under Point 1 (direct links will be much appreciated).

Thanks!
Sigfrid

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-15, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Need a picture from further away. Is this a sliding or swinging door?

I have to ask why you didn't put your real location in? It makes a huge difference in the advice given.

Old 09-16-15, 02:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Your door frame looks like it is out of plumb on one side. The frame should be reinstalled to correct that. Or if this is a double door, look to see if the passive door lock is fully engaged at the head and foot, to make sure the passive door is pulled all the way into the door stop/weatherstripping.

Old 09-18-15, 07:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Here is a photo from further away. This is a double swinging door. The passive door is the one on the left and it is pulled all the way in.

The door itself is slightly warped, hence the problem. I want to avoid reinstalling the frame or any major work, hence I am looking to "patch up" the situation, without necessarily addressing the underlying cause.

Thanks
Sigfrid

Attached Images