repairing old windows

Old 04-06-01, 11:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I am currently remodeling my house that was built in the 1920's. I would like to keep the original windows. I would like to put some type of material on the sides of the windows to help them slide easier.
Right now, like all the windows of that era, there is wood on wood and several coats of paint that make the windows hard to open. If I could find some type of synthetic material to line the edges that slide I can rehab the frames and get good windows out of the deal.
The windows are double hung and I plan to make leaded glass for the top and replace the lower with thermo pane glass. I have priced a factory built replacements and the cost was a good junk of my total budget as I have several windows to do.
Any idea where I can get the materials, instructions, or emails from people who have tried this?
Any and all information would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-01, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think you're looking for too many problems. I assume you have cords(chains) and weights as the balance system. The first problem is fitting a leaded glass (1/4" thick) or a thermopane (3/8" thick) unit into the rabbet of your existing wood sashes. Besides the new glazing being too thick you'll be adding twice the weight and would have to change the weights (if you could find them). I don't know if it's worth the time and effort.

If you're really set on doing this, then you can replace the weight & chain system to jamb liners with spiral balances. To get the proper ones, you must know the weight of the sash with the new glazing.

Old 04-07-01, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why would you want to keep 80 year old windows that are costing you a fortune in heating and cooling costs every year? Putting IG units in the bottom half is a waste of your time and money. It will gain you absolutely nothing. Wooden double hungs of this vintage have no seal where the sash meets the frame. That is where all of your energy loss will occur.