Aluminum window repair-screw stripped

Old 10-17-15, 06:32 PM
Question Aluminum window repair-screw stripped

Hello, I broke a window pane in my new house with old single hung aluminum casement windows . Discovered that I needed to replace the Channel Balances (block & tackle 1710) as well as Top sash cams b/c the plastic shoes and sash cams were broken.

Anyway, I took out the sash and disassembled it to help remove all glass, adhesive, aluminum trim "glazing" and plastic cams. Then, I (Mistake?) put the 4 sides of sash back together and used the same screws on top (but without the plastic cam. I stripped the 'threads' where screw connects sides to the top of sash (Pics are each side of the Top piece)
Name:  20151017_203618[1].jpg
Views: 532
Size:  25.5 KBName:  20151017_203205[1].jpg
Views: 489
Size:  32.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-15, 06:36 PM
Any suggestions on what to do would be great! I could probably replace the top sash piece (or whole sash) but i havent had success finding window parts locally (Tampa, Fl) and Time is a factor (online order)

Old 10-17-15, 06:55 PM
I hate those half-thread deals, they always strip out. You could try the next larger size self tapping screw. If that doesn't work, you could coat the area with JB-weld, let it set, and thread in the screw. If all else fails, get a short piece of aluminum rod the right diameter to slip into the channel there, epoxy it into place, and then drill and tap it for a machine screw.

Old 10-17-15, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
I would pinch the channel just slightly with a pliers or dykes, and use the same screw. Put some red loctite on the screw and inside of the channel, then don't overtighten it.

Old 10-18-15, 04:06 AM
I've used XSleeper's method or a longer sheet metal screw.

Old 11-13-15, 01:21 PM
Update: Sorry for the delay

Just for closure:
I found my way to a local specialty hardware store and she (the manager) was able to match the top sash guides (cams), and plastic shoes for the block & tackles from my old broken/brittle ones. With the certainty now that they were all compatible and right fit (for my channels/sash), I re-assembled the sash (w/adhesive) and the 'guides' at the same time. I just used (1/4") longer screws (in the areas I was asking about/OP). With bit of silicone in the thread, All went well

Everything turned out better than expected. Improved my caulk gun skills , was able to replace (cut/scribe/silicone) the old style aluminum trim (also found at same store) to keep matching the other (10) windows at my house. And I since replaced old b&t/guides in 2 other windows. Thanks!

Old 11-14-15, 06:24 AM
It's good to hear how a project was completed. Nice job!