Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Picture Window

TX

10-29-15, 01:41 PM   #1  
Picture Window

I am putting in some medium sized fixed glass picture windows. What are pros and cons of single pane piece of glass set in wood vs a double pane set in a vinyl frame?
Energy efficiency, cost, etc. The single pane glass will be slightly thicker and low e with wood return vs the vinyl frame. But if losing a lot of efficiency, not sure if major benefit.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

10-29-15, 02:17 PM   #2  
A thermopane (double pane) with a good quality vinyl frame is superior in just about every way. If these are windows direct from the manufacture, you will likely be paying a premium to have a wood frame.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-30-15, 03:22 AM   #3  
Have you found a manufacturer who is still setting single pane glass for picture windows? I agree with Keith, double pane in vinyl will win hands down in efficiency.

TX

10-30-15, 09:03 AM   #4  
Thanks for replies. The single pane would just be a large plate of thicker glass, not a window coming from a manufacturer sitting in a vinyl frame. Sounds like either way the vinyl double pane the better way to go. The profile not as attractive as it is a vinyl window but ok.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-31-15, 04:24 AM   #5  
Even in some instances, picture windows would need to be tempered due to their size, so add buck$ in for that if that is a way to go. I don't think you will be disappointed in the vinyl energy efficient window, at all. If it faces the sun at any point in the day, adding LoE 366 will greatly enhance heating and cooling, as well as furniture/floor fading.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-15, 04:54 AM   #6  
I painted an A frame awhile back that had custom windows. The builder made the window frames and the glass shop made the double pane glass units to fit the frames. IMO if you want to stay away from vinyl that might be the way to go.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread