Door sticking when open/close

Old 10-24-15, 12:43 PM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Door sticking when open/close

Hello. Here's the door that won't open and close w/o sticking:

Here's a view of the latch and knob:

This appears to be the problem part:

The door appears to be too big up at the top. You have to press this door closed when you turn the knob to shut it. Also, you have to use some force to open it and it makes a squeaking noise as like it's sticking.

How, specifically, do I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Old 10-24-15, 01:13 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Loose or stripped hinge screws. (often times removing one of the screws and replacing with at least a 2-1/2 long screw will work)
Door not painted on all sides to reduce expantion and contraction.
Jamb out of plumb on the hinge side. (Needs to be checked with at least a 4' level)
Build up of many layers of paint on the latch jamb.
Hinges, latch, or latch catch not mortised deep enough. (they should be flush with the wood)
As a last resort the doors going to have to come off, knob removed and the end of the door planed down and sanded.

Old 10-24-15, 01:37 PM
T
The door is painted on both sides.

Jamb out of plumb on the hinge side. (Needs to be checked with at least a 4' level)

What does that mean? Isn't the jamb the inside of the door? That's just a long stip of wood that runs from the floor to the top of the door. What can be done about that?

Also, will rubbing sandpaper along the inside of the door and the door jamb help? It seems like there may be a tad of sticky stuff at the top of the door jamb.

Old 10-24-15, 01:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The door is sagging. It is from either of the two hinge locations. From the top hinge, if the screws have worked themselves loose, the top of the door will droop. Putting a long 3" screw into the inner most hinge screw can sometimes drive the hinge in enough to free the top leading edge of the door. If the frame and lower hinge have shifted to the right from weight, it would cause the upper left corner to droop as well. these are corrected by removing the bottom hinge, inserting some cardboard or blister pace plastic behind the hinge and reinstalling the hinge screws. This would cause the door to push out at the bottom and subsequently rotate the top into a different orientation and clear the tightness. If you can wiggle the door closed by lifting it up, I would concentrate on the top hinge and see if it is loose first (observe while lifting the door) and 2nd try the longer screw into the house framing.

Old 10-24-15, 01:57 PM
T
Yes, if you lift up and to the right, the door closes. There are three screws in the top hinge: top middle and bottom. Which one should I replace? Should I replace them all?

Old 10-24-15, 02:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There are three screws in the top hinge: top middle and bottom. Which one should I replace? Should I replace them all?
The screw in the hinge on the door jamb (not the door itself). Look at changing the one that is closest to the middle of the overall door frame. If the hinge on the door itself is loose, you most likely will need to remove all three, plug the holes in the door w th golf tees glued into the holes (then snapped off) and then re-install all three hinge screws.

Old 11-02-15, 07:21 AM
T
Thanks. I replaced the screws on the tip hinge with longer screws and that fix the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: