Trouble Removing Sliding Patio Door

Old 11-01-15, 07:06 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trouble Removing Sliding Patio Door

Hi,

I am having some issues removing my sliding patio door in my basement. I have a couch delivery coming soon and wanted to try to take both the sliding panel and fixed panel out so they will be able to just walk right in with the door.

I have tried lowering the rollers using the adjustment screws but it still does not give enough room for the door to be taken out. See pictures below to see how high it is recessed into the frame. I then read online that you might need to take the fixed pane out first. I removed the brackets in the picture below and removed the snapped in cover. I am also having the same issue with the fixed pane where I can't get it over the lip. I am able to slide the fixed pane back forth but am unable to actually get it out of the frame.

I am really looking for the next steps in what I should try. So if anyone has any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

Name:  Top Track.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  Bottom Track.jpg
Views: 3179
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  BracketsHolding Fixed panel.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  30.6 KB

Last edited by danman765432; 11-01-15 at 07:08 AM. Reason: incorrect title
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-15, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 303 Posts
When the sliding door is closed, is there a fuzzy weatherstripping block above the door (above the meeting rail)? You would need to remove that block in order to lift the door high enough.

Sure doesn't look like there is much room above the door, though. I can see you need to lift it a significant amount. Most often, it can be a 2 or 3 man operation to get them out. Maybe measure the jamb distance and see if the frame is hourglassed (pinched) in the middle. That wouldn't help matters... if its, say 78" in the middle when it's 78 1/4" on the ends.

Old 11-01-15, 07:40 AM
D
The only weatherstripping that I can see on the sliding door is in the picture below. There isn't a block or anything like that. I also just looked to see if there were any screws in the top and bottom to see if that was preventing the door from lifting out.

Picture showing weatherstripping at the top of the sliding door.
Name:  20151101_102020.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  25.1 KB

Picture showing that fixed pane can be moved from side to side from the outside.
Name:  20151101_102422.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 11-01-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 303 Posts
See that gold label on the top jamb? Give me a closeup photo of that label and I will try to find something on it.

Where in NJ are you? I'm actually in East Rutherford for a couple weeks.

Old 11-01-15, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you raise the rollers the door should come down. Keep raising the rollers until they quit. My door has about 3/8 inch above it. Slider should come out. Try it in a half open position or full open position. There should be a piece of plastic close to the closed position in the upper rail that keeps the door from being raised. Maybe it is stuck to the top of the door.