Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

replacement windows

PA

11-11-15, 01:37 PM   #1  
replacement windows

I would like to replace 4 Andersen 400 Series double hung windows in my bedroom with 200 Series instead. The 400 Series I have now were installed as new construction windows, but I don't like the way they fold in for cleaning and all 4 of them have issues with opening them. The 200 Series would suit me much better that way. I was just at my local Home Depot and the man there told me that the 200 Series is not a replacement window but only for new construction. The only window I could get for replacement is the 400 Series, which I don't like and would just as well keep what I have. Can someone explain to me why I can't use the 200 as a replacement window? And why were the 400 Series used for new construction in 2002 but now they are for replacement? I am confused.

Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-11-15, 05:03 PM   #2  
Give us a picture of the outside of your windows and we will be able to give you a better answer to your question.

PA

11-12-15, 06:22 AM   #3  
Name:  107.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  28.6 KB

Here is a picture of the window. Let me know if it didn't come through.

Thanks.

Group Moderator

NE

11-12-15, 06:58 AM   #4  
All you need to do is remove the vinyl siding and j-channel around your existing window, and you can replace it with the 200 series window. New construction windows have a nailing flange that gets nailed to the house. Removing your siding will enable you to pull the nails out of the existing window's nailing flange, and then you can reinstall a new window in the same manner. Measure between the j-channels side to side and top to bottom to get the overall size of the unit you require.

The term "replacement windows" is a phrase that is used loosely to refer to a window with NO flange that can be inserted INSIDE an existing window, not the preferable way to go in your case.

PA

11-12-15, 09:02 AM   #5  
Thank you very much, Sleeper. That makes it very clear to me. Have a great day.

Rich

Search this Thread