Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Help! My Sliding Deck Door is leaking rainwater in my house

Old 11-22-15, 07:15 PM

Ok....so I heard raindrops at my sliding door in my townhome I just bought a month ago. It is leaking from the top of the door but the inside....not even where the door lies on the track?? Im freaking out and cant figure out where its coming from....anyone had an issue like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-15, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
You will need to give us some additional info, and pictures of the siding above the door will help.

When water comes in from the top of a window or door, you can almost always bet that the house has vinyl siding and that water is getting behind the siding at some obvious location, then it runs down the housewrap, where it leaks under the top nailing fin of a door that has been installed on top of the housewrap, and that no window flashing tape was used in the installation of the door.

That's a start. If you can give us more to go on, it would probably be helpful. Vinyl siding is easy to remove. We can help you with some clear directions if that's what you've got. You will likely want to remove the piece of siding above the door to investigate and correct the problem. Its not rocket science... you should be able to handle it if you are the least bit handy.

Old 11-22-15, 07:32 PM
picture of leak

The siding was just done a year or so ago on the building and it is wood siding...I bet when I go out and check above the sliding door from the outside tomorrow the flashing/strip metal thing will be in bad shape....im hoping....Name:  20151122_212923.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 11-22-15, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Don't need a picture of the leak... we can picture that. When you take the pictures outside, get back far enough so that we can see the whole door and everything above it. If we want closeups of some particularly suspicious area we will let you know. At least one pic should show the top door trim and flashing... include the closest corner of the door trim.

And make sure your gutters are clean and that the downspouts aren't plugged. Sometimes a plugged gutter will dump a ton of water from the roof right down the siding and cause a bigger problem.

Old 11-22-15, 07:41 PM
outside

Ok, when it is daylight I will take a picture of it outside. There are 4 units per building all quartered with a basic square structure and A frame roof. If that helps any. But I appreciate your quick reply, I will send a picture in th morning.