Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Glass patio doors require dog door

CANADA

12-02-15, 08:41 AM   #1  
Glass patio doors require dog door

I have double exterior doors leading to my deck with full length glass inserts in both. I am trying to find a way to get a door door in there somehow. Can I replace the glass insert with something solid that I can put the dog door into? or does anyone have any good ideas on the easiest way to get this done.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

12-02-15, 08:50 AM   #2  
You certainly can't put a door in the glass so the glass would need to be replaced with something.
Do both doors move ?
Can you take a picture or two and post them here ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

~ Pete ~

Group Moderator

NE

12-02-15, 08:53 AM   #3  
Yes you can replace the glass with plywood of equal thickness, but this has got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of.

CANADA

12-02-15, 09:12 AM   #4  
I can appreciate your plight having two high energy dogs myself, along with the two glass patio doors leading out onto our deck and backyard. My wife and I looked into potential options for dog doors, but given the fact that the two sliding glass patio doors are the only access to the backyard we abandoned our search. I've accepted the fact that I am and will always be the doorman.

Wasn't interested in cutting out the siding, framing a doorway, installing an expensive exterior door and cutting it apart to allow for a dog door. Which I have to assume would be one of the only solutions.

On top of that, I want control over my dogs in terms of when they can/can't have access to the backyard.

CANADA

12-02-15, 12:42 PM   #5  
Name:  doors.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  37.1 KB

I am not sure if the panels are a standard size or not, I am not going to go for plywood but thought they may sell a standard hard insert or maybe a half glass insert.

I can definitely can go through the house if I have to, but the door would be so much easier. I also considered buying a solid door for one side and putting the dog door in that as well. Just want to hear other's thoughts and ideas....

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-02-15, 12:50 PM   #6  
I would imagine that a dog door in Canada would get a bit nippy in the winter time. And in addition to the open hole in an exterior door, any ply you would use would only be about 1/2" to 5/8" thick to work with the glass trim kit (with glass removed). You would basically be left with an un-insulated wall section and a leaky window (dog door).

CANADA

12-02-15, 12:53 PM   #7  
I know it isn't the best scenario, but our dog is getting older and he needs to go out during the night now and we are willing to put up with some of the negatives.

We would always keep the original window and put it back in when we didn't need the door anymore.

Group Moderator

NE

12-02-15, 12:56 PM   #8  
They sell a standard size half light but in order to do what you want, you will need to reuse the existing glass frame if you plan to put a plywood (or pvc) panel in place of the glass. Getting a solid door and cutting into it would give you the option to just put the old door back on someday without monkeying with the glass and glass frame.

IMO, going through the wall is the way to go. They make nice dog door kits but they do cost a small fortune. If this is temporary... just a few years... maybe replacing the glass is the best option for you.

Is there a storm door on the passive side?

VA

12-02-15, 12:59 PM   #9  
Have to agree, time for plan B.

CANADA

12-02-15, 01:14 PM   #10  
No storm door. I didn't think I could use my door - but wanted to hear some other opinions before I start this. I already have the dog door was around $200.

Group Moderator

TX

12-02-15, 02:19 PM   #11  
I'd vote through the wall also. There may be a minimum thickness the door you bought will fit.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

CANADA

12-02-15, 02:41 PM   #12  
Wall is doable, but I have HardieBoard cement siding which I am not that excited to deal with.

Group Moderator

TX

12-02-15, 03:45 PM   #13  
Cheap diamond blade or even cheaper carbide blade in a circular saw will handle cement board easily.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-02-15, 04:00 PM   #14  
Diablo makes a hardie blade for your circular saw. It has only 4 teeth, but cuts like butter. It also has less dust and mess than other types of cutting (diamond blades). I was actually surprised when I had to do a repair and bought this blade. Bit of a pinch on your wallet, but it will give you a great cut.
Diablo 7-1/4 in. x 4-Tooth Polycrystalline Diamond (PCD) Tipped James Hardie/Fiber Cement Saw Blade-D0704DH - The Home Depot

Group Moderator

NE

12-02-15, 08:21 PM   #15  
If you use a fiber cement carbide in a circular saw, be sure not to set the depth too deep. If you hit wood and nails with it, it will usually take the teeth right off.

Group Moderator

TX

12-02-15, 09:36 PM   #16  
But no teeth and very cheap if you use a masonry abrasive saw blade. Yes, lots of dust but it is outside and can use a fan and wear a dust mask.

CANADA

12-09-15, 09:16 PM   #17  
Just in case someone is looking in the future - I found this as an option...
Door Glass 4 Pets in the glass pet door

Search this Thread