Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole in hollow door.

01-10-16, 07:53 AM   #1  
Hole in hollow door.

Any ideas on how I can patch this door? I have seen a few videos on the subject but I am not sure how I am going to match the wood color. Any ideas?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

01-10-16, 09:22 AM   #2  
Best is replace the door. A slumlord patch might blend if you paint the whole door after patching

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

01-10-16, 09:30 AM   #3  
Who got angry & did that? The first time I had a paint job, I went into a paint store said, I need something to patch some holes in a wall. The guy asked, Are they about the size of a fist? Yes, was the answer.

Anyway, I'm not a fan a Minwax but it might work, on that door.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-10-16, 09:56 AM   #4  
Hang a full length mirror on it or replace the door. Any reasonable attempts to fix the hole will look almost worse than the hole.

It's possible to replace the door skin only, but more trouble than it's worth.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-10-16, 10:12 AM   #5  
I agree, either replace the door or cover it with a mirror. The only way to patch it and keep the stained look would involve some expert faux painting - IMO not worth the effort.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-10-16, 10:59 AM   #6  
Well that is what I figured but I was hoping I could patch it somehow thanks for the responses. My three year old threw a coke bottle at the door I am surprised at how weak the door is. Anyways now I have to go out and try to find that exact door. Any suggestions on where to start?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

01-10-16, 11:09 AM   #7  
Any home store HD or Lowes, measure door size width and height.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-10-16, 01:01 PM   #8  
If you want to fix it and looks are a lower priority, you can cut a 3" piece of luan the size of the diameter of the hole, insert a screw slightly into the wood at the 2/3 point, place hot glue on both ends of the patch and send it inside the hole, holding it with the screw against the inside of the door skin. Once the glue has dried sufficiently, remove the screw and use Minwax or other wood filler to patch over the hole area, sanding it smooth. It may take more than one application of filler. Once sanded smooth, it looks like painting the entire door or trying your hand at mini-staining would be in order.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-10-16, 01:17 PM   #9  
That is a birch door, not luan .... right ??

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Temporarily Suspended

NY

01-10-16, 04:56 PM   #10  
Wow, I can only imagine if the Coca Cola bottle were one from the 50s. The door would have been totally demolished. A mirror is a great idea as long as the Coca Cola bottles are well hidden.

Search this Thread