Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mitigating Lead paint on door and trim

IL

01-14-16, 11:18 AM   #1  
Mitigating Lead paint on door and trim

I recently bought an old house and have found that there lead paint on the interior doors (closets, bedrooms, etc.) as well as the surrounding door frames and trim. I've painted over other lead paint in the house, but I've read that I will need to do something else to mitigate the problem on areas of constant friction like the doors. Replacing the doors is probably not financially viable right now, so I'm looking for an alternative. I was thinking of just lining the door and door frame edges with heavy duty gorilla tape to eliminate the "paint on paint" rubbing. Obviously this tape would have to stay there permanently, so I'm a little hesitant. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-14-16, 11:48 AM   #2  
Welcome.
Are there young children in the house? Lead is especially dangerous to infants and toddlers.
Any Lead Based Paint or suspected lead based should be left undisturbed.
I wouldn't consider a door rubbing as disturbance.

However
If the door rubs so bad as to cause flaking, or chips, or anything falling off the surface, it needs to be addressed promptly.

Brian
Cal Contractor

VA

01-14-16, 01:07 PM   #3  
Way over thinking this one.
If the door is rubbing because there's so many layers of paint what's it going to do if you make a mess covering it with tape?
The tapes just going to cause the door not to close.
Only time lead paints going to be an issue is if a kid chews on it or it becomes air born from sanding.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

01-14-16, 01:25 PM   #4  
Encapsulate with a good quality paint should calm your concerns. If the doors hang, take them outside and plane them down. Use a good quality mask that is rated for lead paint and make sure the neighbor kids are not outside. To minimize dust, you can use a hand/power planer that will chunk the wood instead of powderize it. Then a universal oil based primer and top coat of your choice.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-14-16, 01:46 PM   #5  
If the door sticks - it needs planing or adjusting. The door should never rub on the frame/jamb! Ideally you'd use a chemical stripper and remove the lead paint but as the others have said it's a lot easier to encapsulate the lead paint. About the only time encapsulation would be a concern is if the underlying paint isn't bonded well to the substrate.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-14-16, 02:04 PM   #6  
If you are concerned about lead in the home I would advise you to check out the EPA website.
Lead | US EPA
I'm California and EPA certified in lead renovation and abatement. From the EPA page, check out the PDF brochure "protecting your family".
You will see that most protective measures are common sense.
All of the advise above is good.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Search this Thread