How difficalt is to install the skylight?

Old 02-06-16, 03:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How difficalt is to install the skylight?

I currently have three tubular skylights in my house and we all love it.
Getting the whole metal roof replaced and wanted to get more light in the living room. Tubular skylights just won't look rite in that space, (vaulted ceiling) so I was thinking of installing the 2x4 something like VELUX 22-1/2 in. x 46-1/2 in. Fixed Curb-Mount Skylight with Tempered Low-E3 Glass-FCM 2246 0005 - The Home Depot from HD or whatever. I have 22 1/2" between rafters if it matters.
Called couple of places specializing in skylights and
a. they all are booked solid
b. want to supply their own skylights, assuming it's either cheaper for them or source of revenue or both.
I am not very agile anymore that was the reason for calling for help, but if it's not too much to install it myself I will.
Roofers said they'd build the curbs for me and flash it as well, so I am not sure what's left for the installation of the skylight...

Thanks!

Last edited by Newbie; 02-06-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 03:29 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've installed about 8 of them but they all had the copper flashing attached. I don't know why that pic doesn't show it. As long as you don't nail through the flashing, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-06-16, 06:33 PM
N
Thanks for the quick response Pulpo,

I think it's more getting it up on the roof for me, after looking at some videos it does look pretty straight forward.

I think the flashing comes in a separate kit like this - VELUX 2222/2230/2234/2246 Low-Profile Flashing with Adhesive Underlayment for Curb Mount Skylight-ECL 2246 0000C - The Home Depot

Old 02-06-16, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I agree with Pulpo, as long as you get their flashing kit and know almost anything about roofing and carpentry, they are simple. If I recall, i believe those call for you to build a 2x6 curb (box) for the skylight to sit on. I have used long ledgerlok screws to attach the curb to the rafters. Then it's just a matter of installing the flashing kit and setting the skylight on top putting in about 8 screws. Add trim to the inside.

Old 02-06-16, 07:00 PM
N
Thanks XSleeper,

how do you attach them with ledgerlok screws or should I say how long are the screws you are using. Because if it's 5" I'd need to predrill the curb first, right?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-16, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
It was a Timberlock screw, or something similar... like a torx lag screw. 8" long to go straight down through 5 1/2" of the 2x6 and into the rafter. I used a spade bit to countersink the heads and went right down through the 2x6 curb. Used about 10 lags per curb... probably overkill. Built the curb first, putting all 4 sides together to the specs for the rough opening, then cut out the hole, screwed it down. They are super simple.

Old 02-06-16, 08:31 PM
N
Perfect,
that's what I was expecting, with countersinking.

I am assuming I don't need to build the curb with treated wood, because if it needs to be treated, I am in trouble

Old 02-07-16, 12:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think it's more getting it up on the roof for me,
I don't go on the roof anymore. I always tried to avoid it & now it's a flat out NO.

Old 02-07-16, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think almost anyone can install skylights--but installing them correctly, so they never leak, can be more of a challenge. I've installed several dozen in the last 40+ years, and never had a single call-back for water leaks.

But I never did learn Pulpo's secret of being able to install them from the ground, never going on the roof. The man is truly gifted.

Old 02-07-16, 02:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
But I never did learn Pulpo's secret of being able to install them from the ground, never going on the roof. The man is truly gifted.
LOL, that's a good one. ______________

Old 02-19-16, 09:00 AM
N
Contractor's humor
oh since I need 25 characters - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 02-21-16, 12:00 PM
N
Thank you BridgeMan
and speaking of challenge
Bought two flashing kits (VELUX), one for the composite roof and one for the tile roof.
Roofer came in to look at something else, I showed him the kits asking which one to keep, he without missing a bit - "Return them both"
I am inclined on returning them, assuming he knows what he is talking about and after conversation with Velux support. I asked them which flashing kit should I use on my metal roof, they said neither. Apparently they don't make kits for the tile roof, they know of roofers making adjustments on the regular tile kits and make them work, but manufacturer with not guarantee their product if it's done that way.
I am starting to question if I really want the skylights that badly

Old 02-21-16, 03:29 PM
Your earlier statement about getting the existing metal roof replaced presents a solution for you--just have the new roof installer include the installation of your Velux skylites in his bid. And make sure to be up there to randomly monitor his work quality and techniques. If he's a roofer who's been around for any length of time in sunny California, yours won't be his first skylite installations.

Old 02-25-16, 07:44 AM
N
Thanks again,

I just did that, and he said not a problem for a price
How practical would be for me to ask him to liquid nail the joints of the curb for strength.
I know he is about 11 years in the business, but also know it could be his last.
Want to ensure the curb is built to last

Old 02-25-16, 03:08 PM
N
Solatube V. ODL defusers

This questions seems to be unrelated, other than the fact it's on the same roof.

When roof came down it took two of my solar tubular skylights with it. For the longest time I thought it's Solatube, but they (Solatube) vehemently denying it

I have to replace either the whole units or at least the top domes with new. Went to HD and bought the ODL, I kind of like how sturdy the defuser, I believe that's what it's called, feels. It has two lenses and both feel like they are glass, probably tempered. My roofer said, return it, it's got a plastic flashing and it's no good, especially for the metal roof. Since you probably can tell how much I know, I told him, great and went on my way to return it, but first took some pictures to compare and post here.
Solatube defuser is all plastic and feels flimsier, does not have double seal against the flange, but... is it good or bad?
Any opinions/recommendations?

Old 02-26-16, 07:12 PM
Regarding your skylite installation, your roofer said "not a problem on the price." I don't know exactly what that means. Could it be California roofer talk for "Yeah, I can install them for $20,000 each"(?). After all, he may be used to charging movie star prices, when working on well-heeled movie stars' homes. In all of my previous installations, I never glued a single curb joint, since the curbs can't go anywhere if they are properly anchored to roof framing and attached to each other, with ledgerloks and long deck screws, respectively. However, I did make a practice of wrapping the entire height of all curbs with metal (prepainted or galvanized) flashing, tucked up under the skylites' dome frames. Meaning there was no exposed wood anywhere.

I've never installed a Solartube or similar skylite, so I'll defer to your roofer on that one. I do know that metal roofs can get extremely hot, which can cause trouble for any plastic parts in contact with them.

Old 02-27-16, 08:12 PM
N
Thank you BridgeMan,

Yea, what he said was it will take extra $700 for both 2x4 skylights, that seemed fair to me, just in shear time of making the curbs let along installing them. So I told him to go ahead. I did not see him use any screws when building the curb though, just when anchoring to the deck. I will take few snapshots tomorrow and post here.
My hope is that he should be responsible for leak-free roof tied together with the skylights.
My problem is that I am always going for overkill when I build something, when the contractor builds something for me, it's a completely different story. The contractor has no incentive of overbuilding unless he charges me double for his time and that's when it becomes unaffrodable
Oh,
and roofer told me to return the ODL skylight because it has plastic flashing and with metal roof "you want metal flashing", his words... I felt the no leak to be more important than looks of the defuser, so ODL is going back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: