Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pella hinged patio door problem

CAL

02-20-16, 03:54 PM   #1  
Pella hinged patio door problem

Hi,

I installed a inswing, hinged patio door (double doors). It's been in operation about 6 months. On the passive side, I noticed that the exterior astragal was rubbing the threshold when I opened the door. I operated the door a few more times and then the astragal was touching the threshold and I can not open the door. By astragal I mean the exterior aluminum clad trim piece that the active door rests against. This seems to be a separate piece from the main exterior frame of the door. In the picture below that center trim piece should be flush with the bottom of the door. I tried pulling it up but it won't budge. There is almost 1" gap at the top of the door between astragal and door frame.

For the life of me I can't understand why this would move except that perhaps it moves with the closing mechanism to get a better seal? In any case I removed the lockset but nothing is visible. The door has a wood "cap" on the edge of the door and I assume this conceals the top/bottom bolt mechanism so I think the next step is to take this off to see what's going on. Notice in picture below, where I drew the red line that is a separate wood cap on edge of door.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I do have a warranty but it might be a bit iffy since I installed myself and my dealer does not inspire confidence so I would like to fix this myself if possible even if I have to pay for an inexpensive part. I can't find any interior part diagrams for this door on the Pella site.

.Name:  IMG_2354.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  32.4 KBName:  IMG_2355.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  36.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-20-16, 04:48 PM   #2  
I would be willing to bet that the aluminum has somehow slipped. Nothing wrong with unscrewing the astragal end cap and having a look.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-20-16, 04:49 PM   #3  
I have not worked on a Pella door with Astragal. That said, I've not see a door where the astragal was anything more than an applied piece attached to the edge of the door. When you have locking bolts, they do run through it sometimes.

You might find this informative: http://www.mouldingassociates.com/im...olt%20Repl.pdf

Since you have a clad door, is it possible the cladding has just slipped down? It's usually a separate piece that is either glued or crimped on, perhaps yours came loose and slipped down?

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Group Moderator

NE

02-20-16, 05:05 PM   #4  
Here is a diagram... doesn't help much... but I bet you will just need to tap the aluminum cladding back up.

Pella Architect Series In-Swing Patio Doors | Pella Professional

If you can get the door open, I would take it off its hinges, then turn it on it's side.. take a block of wood and a mallet to try tapping it back up.

CAL

02-20-16, 05:24 PM   #5  
I pulled off the weather strip and I was able to pry up the astragal. The spline on the weather strip was creating a huge amount of friction. It will probably slip again but at least for now I don't have to worry.

I could probably just put one small screw through the astragal into the wood which would be covered by weatherstrip.

Thanks all!

Search this Thread