Garage Door problem

Old 02-23-16, 01:29 PM
Garage Door problem

I am having issues with the garage door on a house I purchased. The door does not have an automatic garage door opener. When I unlock the door it wants to open quickly on its own. If left alone it will open to the half way point and then stop. If I open it the rest of the way it will come back down to the half way point and stop as soon as I let go of the door. The door has a duel torsion spring setup (unknown age). They do not appear rusted and do not look damaged.

The door itself is an aluminum door with insulation (one car garage door - also unknown age).

Has anyone else had this issue or any insight that might help me get the door functioning again properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-16, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Let me make sure I read this right - as long as it is not locked, the door will move itself to the half open position regardless of whether it was left open or closed?

Old 02-23-16, 02:35 PM
Sounds like wrong springs or not properly tensioned.

Old 02-23-16, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Where are the springs located on your door? They will either be on a horizontal bar across the door's opening or along the door tracks with a cable connecting to the door.

Old 02-23-16, 04:31 PM
That is correct. If it is unlocked it will open by itself halfway. If it is fully opened it will return to the halfway mark as soon as you let go.

The spring is horizontal above the opening with the two cables running g down either side of the door.

Old 02-23-16, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a well balanced door to me.

Old 02-23-16, 05:10 PM
No! It should stay at nearly any position and not travel on it's own. And the fact that it wants to open quickly on it's own indicates very strong tension on those springs.

As you stated earlier you have a torsion type spring. But you also say a dual spring but for a single car. Unusual but not unheard of. Pleases end pictures. From far away and close up.

I suggest you get a professional garage door person to look at this and make proper adjustments.

IMHO I think you have an unsafe situation with a door that wants to open quickly on its own or will not stay up in the full open position.

Old 02-23-16, 05:12 PM
A properly set up door will more or less stay at the mid position...but it will also stay open and stay closed, so something is wrong.

Since the way you judge spring tension is to open halfway and look for door to stay put or move only slowly one way or the other, and the door stays in the middle, the static tension seems ok.

So I would think that either the springs are the wrong size, so their force vs rotation is wrong, or there is a problem with the tapered cones where the lift cables attach. Either wrong size, or backwards, something like that. When the door is all the way down, the cables should be no more than one full wrap around the wide diameter of the cones. They are tapered to lower the lifting force as the door nears full open since most of the weight is on the horizontal tracks at that point.

This is one of those cases when it might be best to call a door guy. They will know in a minute what's not right.

Old 02-23-16, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have the EZ spring torsion with the hex head adjustment or do you have the standard kind with the square set screws?

Old 02-23-16, 05:24 PM
Carbide,

Goods points about the cones and cable being wound. I would not have thought of that.

I would still like to see some pics.

Old 02-23-16, 05:38 PM
I will get some pictures up tomorrow.

It has the standard square heads.

Old 02-23-16, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
I have a couple 16" long pieces of 3/8" all thread ready rod for adjusting torsion springs. You stick them in the holes next to the square headset screws and hang onto them as you loosen the set screws. If your door is springing up too much you could release the tension by maybe one turn, and see if that helps. You use 2 rods so that you can do it 1/4 turn at a time. But tension springs are dangerous and as mentioned, if you do not feel safe or qualified to do the maintenence yourself you can call in a pro. But this is a diy site, so if you have questions about it, just ask.

I'm guessing that whoever had the door last either didn't have the strength to lift the door, or wanted it adjusted that way. Maybe it was an old man with a bad back. Lol

Old 02-24-16, 04:45 AM
Thanks for all the insight guys! I think I will like it here on this forum.

Due to the danger of messing with springs that are under tension I decided to suck it up and call a garage door company. Over the phone they said the same thing that it sounds like the previous owner had put in the wrong springs. He suggested a single spring setup being it is an aluminum door with foam insulation.

Oh well, on to the next project

Old 02-24-16, 01:41 PM
Don't let them upsell you a new set of springs if the existing springs could be adjusted to open and close the door properly.

Old 02-24-16, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Just to note...very unlikely it is an aluminum door. I don't think I've ever seen one. If a magnet sticks it's steel.

Old 01-22-18, 01:42 AM

I want to ask before hiring garage door repair in rincon. If there please help me to sort out problems. I am facing garage door related problems.

Old 01-22-18, 03:47 AM
Start a new thread and explain in detail what your problems are.