Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deck slider latch mechanism

CT

02-26-16, 09:03 AM   #1  
Deck slider latch mechanism

I have an Anderson sliding door (I don't know the model) leading to my deck. The door doesn't seal properly when closed. The latch mechanism doesn't fully engage.

I think that the handle shaft might be slightly bent or the internal parts are worn. I would like to disassemble the latch but I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I believe it may be one piece with the shaft. I started removing the screws holding the handle cover and then I thought I should know what I'm doing first. Anyone know how to disassemble this?

Here are some pictures -

Name:  Door latch4.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  16.9 KB Name:  Door latch2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  16.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

02-26-16, 10:14 AM   #2  
Before taking things apart I would operate the latch when the door is open. Does the mechanism move properly? If so it may be an issue with the door's alignment or installation and not the latch/lock. If the latch doesn't work relatively smoothly when the door is open then you can try opening it up to look for something bent, worn or that needs lubricating. To remove the latch I'd start by removing the Philips head screws visible in your photo.

Group Moderator

NE

02-26-16, 10:39 AM   #3  
Check to see if the door is plumb first. Open the door just a crack... the gap of light you see should be straight top to bottom. If it isn't, adjust your door rollers.

CT

02-26-16, 07:20 PM   #4  
I was in a hurry when I wrote the OP and I left out a couple of things. The handle is "loose" as if the internals are worn. It is not loose on the shaft. It is also hard to operate even with the door open. I'll remove the two handle screws tomorrow and see what's up.

The door is not plumb but then neither is the house. However, it is square in the jamb and slides reasonably easy in it's track.

Group Moderator

NE

02-26-16, 07:30 PM   #5  
If it makes you feel any better, I had to replace the same part (Andersen Tribeca thumb latch) on my parents' door. It surprised me because it was only a couple years old. Their old Andersen door lock worked fine for 30 + years. The new latches must be crap. I bought the replacement from Amazon. There is probably nothing wrong with the reach out lock and receiver.

CT

02-27-16, 02:54 PM   #6  
Guess how old this one is - 29 years. I'll unscrew the thumb latch tomorrow and hope I don't hear any parts fall down inside the door.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-28-16, 03:51 AM   #7  
With the door open you will need to depress that button to operate the lock. That button hits the striker at a particular point allowing the same operation. You didn't picture the striker, so it may help for us to see that as well.

I had a fit of a time getting two door sets to operate properly. The striker was just too temperamental and the connecting rod in the lock mechanism was crap aluminum. I had to fabricate some from steel to keep them from twisting with a single operation. Not impressed with the quality. Not sure of the brand.

CT

03-02-16, 03:33 PM   #8  
I removed the two screws holding the thumb latch and pulled it out. The shaft is damaged from the force needed to operate the latch. I removed the latch mechanism and it is partly seized. I soaked it overnight but it didn't help so I ordered a replacement from Anderson. $60 for the latch and receiver and another $9 for the thumb latch. That phone call with Anderson customer service could make a whole new thread. Next time I'll just order from their website.

I had never disassembled a slider like this and I couldn't see what was holding the latch. I was afraid of removing the two thumb latch screws until I knew what would happen. I needn't have worried the same two screws hold the reach out latch in place. I felt a bit silly once I saw how it worked.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread