Replacing oversized closet doors - options?

Old 02-26-16, 01:52 PM
Question Replacing oversized closet doors - options?

Howdy guys -

I'm looking for your guys' ideas on where to go for a closet door replacement.

I recently bought a condo in an older building, and the closet doors are the old, oversized (93"-ish) ceiling-to-floor metal bi-folds on track rails.

My unit is undergoing renovations with a contractor right now, and I'm looking for closet door ideas before we place the rails back on my new floor.

Why I didn't earlier decide to have my contractors install drywall and put in more standard doors is probably what you are all wondering, and I simply figured I'd save that project for another day. I don't have the skill or tools to install drywall myself..

The closet opening itself measures: 95" high, 71.75" wide. And only has track rails on the top part (bottom rails would be drilled into the floor, if I go back to the current oversized metal doors); no side frame.

I've entertained the idea of hanging curtains on a tension rod, at least as an interim solution.

And I'm drawn to consider something like mirror-fronted sliding doors. Not sure if they make them in exactly the size I would needs, but you guys would know better than I.

Toss me your thoughts or guidance?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-16, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why not frame it out to fit standard doors? You could get your contractor to do it while he's there. It really doesn't take much in 'special' tools to hang/finish drywall.

Old 02-26-16, 02:11 PM
I'm using a busy company; certainly it doesn't hurt to ask or see what they'd charge; but I'm gun-shy about adding stuff to the specified job I guess. Plus, I thought that I'd come up with a cool, creative solution in the interim. Dumb thinking probably. Haha

Old 02-26-16, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Cool and creative is even easier when things are of a standard size

Old 02-26-16, 04:39 PM
Although standard interior doors are most all 6'8", you can certainly special order them taller. If you order 3 panel or 6 panel doors it would give you a different look without dealing with the framing and drywall. You can even order them pre-painted if you don't want to deal with that....

You'd probably have to go a real lumberyard.

Old 02-26-16, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
I was thinking along similar lines to Paul. Reframe the openings and maybe go with double hinged doors if you have the space for them to swing open. (Sliding doors are space saving) Something like double 2-8 x 7-0. Ball catches on top so that they just pull open. As mentioned, standard sized doors would be more economical.

Old 02-28-16, 03:55 PM
I have a request in to my contractor to standardize the opening size (80") with a piece of drywall. I think that I may have caught them in time; they may well put doors on too.

Old 02-29-16, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just so you aren't caught by surprise, it's more than just adding drywall - they'll have to install some new framing too [which isn't a big deal]

Old 03-01-16, 08:12 AM
Thanks you guys; $850 (in downtown Philly) for the contractor to install two 36" bi-folds; which include framing and the drywall installation. I wish I had the space and tools to do more myself and save some dough; but this is probably well spent, considering the fit & finish. Plus, as you guys say, I can get more creative later, now that I'll have a standard size opening.

Last edited by phillytim; 03-01-16 at 08:30 AM.