Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replace door threshold? [Step down into garage, slab underneath]

FL

03-04-16, 10:54 AM   #1  
Replace door threshold? [Step down into garage, slab underneath]

Since I've bought my new house I've noticed the threshold is loose that leads from the laundry room off of the kitchen into the garage. It's a step down into the garage. So I wanted to give it a try replacing it and I don't really know what I'm doing at this point.

Pictures are attached. The threshold there right now is about 4.5" wide. About 1.5" of it hangs over, I can see a thick adhesive was place under it. But I wonder if that was too much overhang which may have caused it to get loosened up in the first place. So maybe I need a 3" wide threshold?

I happened to buy this MD Building Products 3-3/4 in. x 36 in. Aluminum Deluxe Low-Rug Vinyl-Sealed Threshold-08102 - The Home Depot threshold a few weeks ago but I don't think it will work. I'm having a tough time finding one exactly line what I have now that's loose.

Tile is in the laundry room if it's difficult to tell from the picture. Underneath the tile is the slab.

Here are pictures:
View image: 20160304 094737
View image: 20160304 094750
View image: 20160304 094757

I don't want to start prying up the old one until I'm certain I have the right kind to replace it with.

Also, if I can see screws holding it in on the side can I get the whole thing out prying it up in the middle or will it be impossible without cutting through those screws?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-04-16, 01:00 PM   #2  
You should install an apron under the sill nose to keep it from flexing when stepped on. If its not too late you might be able to install that and the sill/threshold would not need to be replaced. Replacing it would almost certainly mean pulling the whole door frame out since it is stapled to the sides of the jambs.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-04-16, 01:05 PM   #3  
I agree, install a 2x under the the front edge. A 1x might work if the overhang is less than 1.5"

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

03-04-16, 03:27 PM   #4  
I use 1 X 6 PVC lumber Tap Coned to the foundation.
There is not reason to replace the threshold that's there.
Look up under the threshold, there's a 3/4" wide grove where the PVC slides into to make 100% contact.

FL

03-07-16, 12:59 PM   #5  
I happened to have a piece of spare wood that was the right size to wedge under the sill but it's still very loose on top so it seems like that won't work, also there isn't any kind of groove underneath the threshold to slip it into. I think I'll have to replace it, I'm still kind of confused as to where I can find/purchase the right kind of replacement threshold?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-07-16, 01:10 PM   #6  
What exactly is loose if/when the nose is supported?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

03-07-16, 01:12 PM   #7  
There is no reason to replace anything.
To do so you would have to remove the whole door to get the old one out and still have the same issue.
Just need to attach something to that foundation under it to support it, not under the threshold between the slab and the threshold.

Group Moderator

NE

03-07-16, 03:29 PM   #8  
You need to do 2 things. Put the apron under the sill nose like we told you. Then on the inside, slip some tapered cedar shims under the door sill until its straight with the bottom of your closed door. Then get a tube of polyurethane construction adhesive and completely caulk any gaps between the floor and sill.

Search this Thread