Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cutting Concrete for Egress Window

CO

03-24-16, 10:25 AM   #1  
Cutting Concrete for Egress Window

It's my first time doing an egress window. I've done tons of reading, but my wife is telling me I need to get some reassurances Her House won't collapse when I cut into the foundation

Picture of current window is attached. I will be cutting straight down apx. 36 more inches in order to put in the window. The width of the window will be maintained, but I'm making it deeper. I've rented a concrete chainsaw to cut the concrete. The first few passes I will make with an angle grinder and then circular saw. I'm doing this to put less wear on the concrete blade.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Name:  Current Window.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by PhysicsKevin; 03-24-16 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Picture rotation

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-24-16, 10:41 AM   #2  
Well, you're asking two questions here - how to do this and how to handle your wife. Your plan sounds fine to me, I have no idea what it's going to take with her, though.

Group Moderator

NE

03-24-16, 11:14 AM   #3  
The additional cuts you want to make are a waste of time. I have used a concrete chainsaw many times. Just hook the hose up to it and make one full width cut. Obviously tear the iron out first. Do not rock the saw like you are cutting wood. Keep the saw level and square to the house. Tell your wife that making the opening deeper is no problem... making it wider could be.

When you do the bottom cut, use the nose of the saw to plunge cut into the wall, nearest one corner, keep the saw level and square as you cut across. Have plastic inside to deflect the spray. Have a wet vac to clean up the floor. The saw really wants to cut pretty straight as long as you keep going and don't rock or start and stop a whole lot, provided you pay attention to keeping it square with the house.

For someone who has never used one, it may be a good idea to tapcon a board onto the perimeter of the opening to use as a guide. The chain saw has a little "guide needle" that you can use to follow the board.

CO

03-24-16, 03:22 PM   #4  
Thanks guys.

I had planned on doing the bottom cut first and inserting some shims so it doesn't fall down. When I'm doing the vertical cuts, I had planned on using just clamps to make sure it didn't fall inward. I will take your advice and use a few tapcon and a 2x4 instead.

From what I read, the concrete chainsaw should go through smaller re-bar like I expect to see inside the wall.

Group Moderator

NE

03-24-16, 04:18 PM   #5  
I kind of doubt you will run into any rebar in a poured wall that old, but I may be wrong. But yea, the saw will cut through it like butter. Keep in mind the water doesn't have to be full blast... just enough to cool the blade and make slurry as you cut. Control the amount of water with the valve on the saw. Keep an eye on the chain tension. The chain should be loose, but not so loose that you can pick it up and expose the bottom teeth. You may need to tighten the chain once or twice because as the chain heats up it expands slightly.

Wear your rain gear... rubber pants, boots and coat. Well worth it to shed that stuff when you're done and still be clean.

Search this Thread