Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Closing off exterior door with concrete threshold

Closing off exterior door with concrete threshold

Old 03-24-16, 03:59 PM
Closing off exterior door with concrete threshold

I am looking for advice on closing off an exterior door with a concrete threshold. I want to wall the door in and 1) I don't want to build the wall on top of the threshold and 2) don't want the lip of the threshold sticking out on the outside. Is it safe to chip the threshold out without damaging the brick exterior or is it better to just build the wall on top of the threshold and try to smooth off the lip? Is there another option/better way to handle this? I've searched around and have found nothing on this topic.

Photo of what I'm looking to remove below (and before it's asked - yes, walling this door in is allowed given I have another secondary exit nearby).

Name:  IMG_3882.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  43.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 05:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
There is no guarantee that the brick won't get damaged. If you can cut the edges with a masonry blade, you have a chance.

Old 03-24-16, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Is it your intent to tie in the brick on the outside of the house to make it disappear? Is the house on a slab? The threshold appears to have been formed and poured after the door was installed, so it may chip up easily. Maybe you could post a picture from the outside, too.

Old 03-24-16, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
The picture from the outside would help tremendously so that we can see the ends. But cutting a 24" to 30" section right out of the middle would allow you to break and lift the majority of it right out, leaving smaller pieces on the ends to deal with. You might be able to wiggle them loose once you take the piece out of the middle.

Old 03-25-16, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! This is what it looks like from the outside.

Name:  exterior-door.jpg
Views: 2745
Size:  42.3 KB

The plan is to continue the siding on the back part of the house to cover over this part of the house as well. We plan to extend the kitchen cabinets to cover the space the door takes up on the inside. That said, I'd still like a nice flat surface (inside and outside) to work with if possible.

Old 03-25-16, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, your bricks are sitting on top of the concrete sill, so first thing you would do is demo the one tapered brick that is sitting on the concrete sill. (slice mortar joint with a grinder and diamond blade, then chisel that brick out of there.

Then cut the wide section out of the middle with a concrete saw and bust it out of there. Then tap the ends with a sledgehammer and they should come right out. There is probably a steel bar on the bottom that fits into a notch in the underside of the concrete sill... that will probably make it a little difficult to remove... so the bigger of a section you can cut out of the middle, the better.

Covering the brick with siding is a shame, but it does take care of any problems with patching the hole.

Search this Thread