Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Screen repair tape

FL

03-28-16, 06:56 PM   #1  
Screen repair tape

Quick question on fiberglass screen repair.

These screen repair tape they sell at home centers...

It looks very similar to drywall/cement board mesh tape.

How different are they?

I had a large tear and would like to do a temp repair until the screen guy can fit me into his schedule next week. I do have a roll of wall mesh tape, can I use it for that or is there something really special with the screen mesh tape?

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 03-28-16 at 07:12 PM.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

03-28-16, 07:12 PM   #2  
How would you glue the fiberglass tape. I doubt it is sticky enough to hold. I'd just use clear packing tape. My mother would have used needle and thread.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Group Moderator

NE

03-28-16, 07:12 PM   #3  
You would be better off using duct tape. Your mesh tape is not sticky enough to stay on the screen for long.

FL

03-28-16, 07:18 PM   #4  
Are you guys referring to the "drywall cement board mesh tape" I have being useless, or the STANDARD SCREEN REPAIR MESH TAPE that is being sold for that specific purpose being useless?

http://www.amazon.com/QCI-Direct-Win.../dp/B0081S4H3O

That's what I am trying to ask, what is the difference, anyone knows?

The standard screen repair tape is not a temp thing, but I only need it to stay for about a week before I replace the entire screen.

Group Moderator

NE

03-28-16, 07:29 PM   #5  
What's the difference? One is for cement board... isn't very sticky at all... and gets covered with mortar thin set. Since you asked "can I use it for that..." I think we are in agreement that using mesh cement board tape would be a waste of time.

The other - Screen repair tape- is made specifically to repair screens, so it will have a better chance of sticking. How long it will stick probably anyone's guess. Since you mentioned it's temporary and only needs to last a week... I think that's why ordinary packing tape or duct tape seem like a obvious choice.

Search this Thread