Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Best solution for adding screen door to french doors? (Picture)

Best solution for adding screen door to french doors? (Picture)

Old 03-30-16, 07:24 AM
Best solution for adding screen door to french doors? (Picture)

We have a set of french doors in our bedroom with no screen currently. Unfortunately, there are no tracks in the current threshold so I cannot just add a top rail and throw in a couple sliding screens. (Why in gods name would somebody put french doors in a room with no other windows and no ability to add screens to keep them open in the summer, I have no idea).

Short of replacing the french doors with something newer that has a sliding screen included, what would be my best/cheapest option for adding some kind of screen so we can keep the door open? I would rather stay away from the cheap pull down screens I've seen in stores as we have pets, so we need something somewhat sturdy.

Does such a thing as a kit where you can add a bottom rail to existing thresholds exist? I haven't been able to find anything. The only other option I've found is the Brisa retractable screen, but for a one that works on double doors/french doors the price is enough that I might as well just install a set of patio doors instead.

Name:  french doors.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  30.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-16, 09:00 AM
A friend had double doors on the back wall of his garage, and he had a rollup/down screen for when he needs bug free ventilation. It was professionally made, came in a "cabinet" ready to mount inside the door frame (on the outside of the doorway). When unrolled, it rests against the sides of the doorway, and the patio surface...no bugs. His model had a pole that he used to manually roll/unroll the screen, but he said that the higher end model has an electric motor, and that the other models have a split/seam down the middle to allow for people to pass through. (Supposedly, the split closes and seals enough to allow people to pass, but keeps out the bugs.)
Disclaimers: I have no idea regarding the cost or durability of this setup, but my friend had it working for about 3 years before moving, and he said that it worked for him.

Old 03-30-16, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
You can buy a storm door for double doors. The storm door could have a full lite screen panel.

Old 03-31-16, 04:48 AM
When I was in business I installed sliding screens on many French doors that had no tracks. You'll have to look for a local glass shop to do this. Tracks are available and doors will have to be custom made. XSleeper's suggestion might be less money with the added advantage of storm doors for winter.

Search this Thread