96 x 80 door opening (Closet)

Old 04-06-16, 06:38 AM
96 x 80 door opening (Closet)

Hello,

I have somewhat of a unique situation. I have a long closet opening of 96 inches wide by 80 inches tall. Before, there were 4 bi-fold closet doors installed, which looked really ugly IMO. I have taken those, and the sliding track down.

I would like to put 2 48 x 80 sliding doors in it's place. However, I am having a really difficult time finding 48 x 80 doors.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Or, if you have any other ideas for that opening, that is welcome also.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-16, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect a door that wide would have to be special ordered. Have you considered putting a divider in the middle and using 2 - 24" doors on each side?

Old 04-06-16, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Any type of wood or composite doors would probably be difficult to get, but that's a not uncommon size for mirror doors. Yes, would have to special ordered, but it's a standard size IIRC. Problem might be the bottom track attachment. If you are on a slab or have carpeting, it can be a bit tricky.

Remember also, with sliders you can only access half the closet at a time. Maybe a different style of bifolds would work.

Old 04-06-16, 08:13 AM
If the opening is really 96 wide you will need 49" doors to provide overlap or you will have a gap visible in the middle. Or you could build out the side jambs a little.

36" is the widest commonly available standard wood door. I'm sure you can order 48 from a lumberyard, but they will be expensive.

You can also get triple sliding tracks which would allow you to use 3 34 inch doors.

I have a similar wide closet in my basement and went with 2 bi-folds (4-24 wide doors). By using heavy duty hardware and 6 panel doors the look is a lot nicer than typical slab closet doors.

Old 04-06-16, 08:55 AM
Thank you all very much for the responses.

I have laminate on the floor.
It is exactly 96 inches wide.

3 doors isn't a bad idea, or a different bi-fold design.

I like the idea of mirror sliding doors, but hmmmmm.

Tough, expensive decisions, lol.