New Fiberglass Windows Smell when Hit by Sun

Old 04-15-16, 07:09 PM
New Fiberglass Windows Smell when Hit by Sun

We had new Andersen fiberglass windows installed throughout the house a few months ago. Since the weather started warming up, we noticed that when the upper-floor windows are hit by sunlight, the entire upstairs is filled is an odd odor, that I can only describe as plastic-like-mixed-with-turpentine. For a while we weren't sure what it was, because there was no smell immediately after the windows were put in. But we now feel pretty strongly it's the windows, since that's all that changed and, again, it happens when light's coming in.

The contractor used an 'elastomeric' caulk, but I'd assume it'd be dry by now and therefore not causing a smell. The windows have a SunSmart treatment but I don't know exactly how that's implemented (a coating or what).

The contractor is contacting Andersen to see if they've heard of this issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can help narrow down exact causes. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-16, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
I'd have to guess that just like materials in a new car, the material is "outgassing" somewhat. Probably the best thing is to ventilate as much as possible.

Old 04-15-16, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
If the caulking was applied thick (i.e. a wide bead) the odor could still be from the caulking curing. The sun warms the sealant and accelerates the offgassing. I know I have had a handful of complaints about the odor or the caulking on window jobs over the past 25 years.