Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Sagging and lost right Angle on vinyl screen patio doors

Sagging and lost right Angle on vinyl screen patio doors

Old 04-30-16, 06:24 AM
Sagging and lost right Angle on vinyl screen patio doors

I have 2 screens doors on my back porch. I love the look of them, they are very pretty. However, after hanging for less than 1 year, not only sagging (something a lot of this decorative style of door does and I can fix that) but they are also becoming crooked (or they are no longer squared, however the best way to word it may be) My thought is to place L brackets on each corner. But the vinyl is hollow and I am not quite sure if the screws will hold it. Does anyone have any ideas? Or better ideas than the L brackets?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-16, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah it is very easy to strip a screw in vinyl. You have to be VERY careful when you tighten the screw not to spin it.

Instead of angle brackets, you might consider putting an aluminum pet grille on the exterior side of the door. The rigidity of the aluminum grille will help keep the door square which may help... not sure of the problem you are having, but I know those vinyl screen doors get sloppy.

One tip when screwing into vinyl is to use course thread screws and put thread locker on the screws. Start the screw into the vinyl, then once you have cut some threads, unscrew it, put the thread locker on the screw and finish screwing it in. And like I said, just bring the head up snug, SLOWLY. If it spins you're done.

Old 04-30-16, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Most home centers and hardware stores also sell diagonal brace kits. You attach it to diagonal corners and there is a threaded bit in the middle you can tighten to square the door.

Search this Thread