Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Single hung vinyl windows with a plastic Take Out Clip

Single hung vinyl windows with a plastic Take Out Clip

Old 06-15-16, 03:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Single hung vinyl windows with a plastic Take Out Clip

NOTE: I have searched the forums for this problem and did not find a similar issue.
Name:  IMG_20160615_145119611.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  20.8 KBName:  IMG_20160615_145141064.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20160615_145835465.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  16.5 KBName:  IMG_20160615_145841681.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  15.5 KBName:  IMG_20160615_145847060.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  12.4 KB
I have several single hung vinyl windows in my almost 10-year old house. I do not know the brand (it is not marked anywhere on the window). They are builder installed, double pane, almond colored with spring loaded sash balances.

Besides the poor installation or sizing of some of the single hung windows (I also have sliders), these windows have a plastic take-out clip rather than the more common (I think) metal clip. I'll add pictures of the clips below. And the big problem with these clips is that they break. If I could find replacements then that would not be as much of an issue. But I have searched high and low and have not been able to find them.

So here are my two questions:
1. Does anyone know where to find replacements (I have searched almost everywhere on google and looked at most of the major parts catalogs for hours).
2. If I cannot find replacements, will the typical metal clips work?

Regarding using the metal clips, it seems to me, from the pictures and videos I've seen, that these clips fasten in to 2 small holes the the jamb liner whereas my windows have a larger slotted hole that is nearly 1 1/4" long. So I'm not sure that the metal clips will work.

Pictures below (or wherever this forum places them).

TIA for any help!!
Old 06-15-16, 07:54 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,248
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
What is the length of the hole? I wonder if the plastic one here is a viable alternative for a discontinued part... But you would have to measure.

60 Series Channel Window Balances
Old 06-16-16, 05:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks much.
The holes seem to be inconsistent, like someone used a dremel tool to cut them. But they are just over one inch tall and about 3/16 wide.
The clips I have are 1 1/4" long and 5/16" wide on the front.
I had seen those clips that you linked to but dismissed them as too different. Looking again at their measurements, I think they're going to be too big at 1 3/4" long.
Again, thanks for looking. Any thoughts on using metal clips? Do you know if they clip using tension against the top and bottom of the hole? Or does the top of the clip hook over the top hole? Not sure if that makes sense when I write it like it does in my head
Old 06-17-16, 03:40 AM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,870
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The metal clips shown in the above link will not work since they require 2 slits rather than a long cut-out.
Old 07-06-16, 01:09 PM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry It is a Ply Gem - try the manufacturer Lifetime Warranty

Hi there,
we got exactly the same problem and our gorgeous builder has finally revealed to us that our windows were not supplied by Alside (and I had already triggered the full warranty process, for nothing!) but by Ply Gem. I took and used some photos of those labels to be found on the windows or in the window frames. I am still not clear what series (builders or #?) they used, and I am even trying the builder's "warranty office" (California Customer Care LLC - a complete joke, only sending letter stating "this is not an SB 800 claim"!). So, i tried Ply Gem's warranty phone number several times and always dropped out of the cue and they did not call my number I left for them. This is a huge problem. The only thing you can do is to remove a functional clip from one of your windows and temporarily replace the broken one in order to engage with the balances and take out or reinstall the balances and reinstall your window. Miserable design, construction and everything around it!!! Please, let all of us know once you found a solution either at the manufacturer or just a hardware or window installation store that has those precious pieces of cheap plastic. I was even thinking of 3D printing... Good luck to all of us!

Last edited by XSleeper; 07-27-18 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removed trash talking

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: