Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Changing Door to Window

NM

07-10-16, 11:20 PM   #1  
Changing Door to Window

I have a sliding glass door in my master bedroom that was originally a window. The previous owners turned it into a sliding glass door to access a sunroom that they also added. The sunroom is in bad shape now (20+ years after it was built), my yard is pretty small so my wife and I decided we would rather take it down to have more yard space. I found this short how to guide for replacing a door with a window - How to do a Door-to-Window Conversion | Interior Design Styles and Color Schemes for Home Decorating | HGTV

It seems relatively straightforward but I know that oftentimes these guides make projects sound much easier than they really are. Has anyone completed anything similar? Anything not in the guide that I would need? Should I even attempt this or hire a pro? The door is 6ft W and 7 ft H. I have basic carpentry skills.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-11-16, 02:57 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Installing a window in a door opening is much easier than the opposite. Yes, the instructions were very simplistic, as in most TV show type instructions. They can gut an entire bathroom in a 15 second spritz

A couple of things not mentioned. Before the jacks are installed, they failed to mention that you need to install a pressure treated bottom plate, THEN the jacks. Close the opening down to the window's rough opening and install the cripples. I would double the plate in the window opening to allow for proper nailing of a skirt trim, so allow for that in your measurements.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-11-16, 04:14 AM   #3  
If you are somewhat handy it shouldn't be a big deal to diy. Does your house sit on a concrete slab or does it have floor joists? Shouldn't be a need for PT wood on the latter.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NM

07-11-16, 12:14 PM   #4  
Thanks for the responses. My house is on a concrete slab.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-11-16, 04:52 PM   #5  
Then the bottom plate needs to be pressure treated and any nails/screws that go into it need to be rated for PT wood.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread