Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replace small windows in rear-addition with French doors. Building Regs needed?

Old 07-13-16, 06:59 PM

Hi all,
I'm about to refurb a flat before I sell it, and wanted to remodel it to maximise it's value and appeal. It's a small 2 bedroom garden flat and will require two major elements as well as a general refurb:
1) Remodelling/"Chopping" a bedroom to accommodate the new bathroom
2) Removing two small windows at the back of the rear addition to accommodate the installation of French doors, leading out to the garden.

Please see the attached images showing the current and projected floor plan, as well as an image of the rear of the property, where I'd like to install the french windows.

Would Building Regs be required for any element of these works?

I'd also like to move the location of the combi-boiler and widen the front door to "standard" size, as the previous owner installed very narrow doors. Would this be OK without Building Regs?

Thanks in advance for your help

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
What are "building regs"? We have no idea where you live so please fill out your location in your profile. I am guessing UK? In the US, you need permits and inspections to do any structural work. Your plan will require structural changes (headers). Your bathroom and bedroom would be unrealistically small. Also probably unrealistic to run new water and sewer to a location so far from the existing water and sewer lines.

Old 07-13-16, 08:37 PM
Yes, I'm uk based.
The new bathroom is quite far from the current waste location. Is this impossible to solve? I really need to to move it to to make the layout work. Yes, the second room will be small, but by London standards, it would still be considered a "double room".