Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Where to get window screen for wood framed window?

Where to get window screen for wood framed window?

Old 08-05-16, 12:16 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 196
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Where to get window screen for wood framed window?

Where can I find a bug screen for a wood framed window?
The screen stays in place with 4 metal spikes that can be extended out. A photo is attached showing one such spike's handle.
I looked in hardware stores -- they only have screens for aluminum or vinyl framed window.

I also looked online, but searching "screen for wood frame window" usually turn up "wood framed screens" which is not what I want.
Name:  small.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  43.6 KB

Any idea where to look?
Old 08-05-16, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,693
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
You can buy a roll of screen wire and reuse your frame. You'll have to pull the spline out to remove the old screen, stretch the wire in place and reinsert the spline. The screen frame is aluminum right?
If it's wood it might be easier to build a new frame.
Old 08-05-16, 02:57 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,121
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Almost any hardware store (or city glass store) will be able to rescreen a window if you bring it into them. They can also sell you screen, it comes in various widths. Aluminum or fiberglass, and either charcoal or bright aluminum.

Wooden screens usually will have a wood stop (screen moulding) that has to be removed and it is either reused or replaced, depending on how good of shape it is in.

For what they charge, it's usually a bargain to let the store rescreen it for you.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: