Sagging bathroom door fix

Old 08-12-16, 12:11 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sagging bathroom door fix

Hello everyone,

I need some help, I have a sagging bathroom door that I am trying to fix and I haven't had any luck getting it done. This is a pre-existing door that came with the house. What I observed about this door is that it only has TWO hinges and not THREE. The door is rubbing at the bottom and you can clearly see there is a gap at the top right of the door. I have replaced the hinges with new ones and installed 2" wood screws. The screws are not grabbing the stud and are turning. I am not sure if this is a result of using a drill and not a screw driver Yesterday I shimmed the bottom hinge with cardboard and that didn't work.

What else can I do?

Old 08-12-16, 12:27 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First I would try even longer screws on the top hinge. If that doesn't work/help, then you can either drill out the existing stripped out holes and glue in a piece of wood dowel, and then drill new pilot holes, or you can try the trick of coating wooden toothpicks with glue and jamming as many as possible into the screw hole and letting them dry. The reinsert the hinge screws.

Old 08-12-16, 12:41 PM
D
So you suspect the issue is the screws not grabbing firmly to the stud or wood?

Old 08-12-16, 01:44 PM
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

You might want to post a picture.
Yes, it's probably the top hinge screws. Replace at least one screw with a long one. Rub bar soap on the threads to make driving it in easier.
Also check the hinge side of the door and make sure it's parallel with the jamb and plumb.

Old 08-12-16, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As the others said it's likely the top hinge not being snug enough. 2 hinges is commonplace for hollow core doors.

Old 08-12-16, 05:48 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
IF you can lift the door and notice the top hinge move, then that is the issue. I use a golf tee glued into the old screw hole and then snapped off to set m new screws into. Longer screws can also pull the door jamb up tighter to the framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: