Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to prevent french doors from opening with the wind

08-15-16, 08:06 AM   #1  
How to prevent french doors from opening with the wind

I'm working on a set of french doors and they are just impossible to keep closed. They have a little ball catch on top of them, but I think the locks that are installed are incorrect. It's a lock that's used on single doors, so there's only a handle on one of the two doors. I think a proper french door lock would probably fix the issue, however I'm not allowed to replace that. As of right now even with the doors closed and the lock locked, if you push the doors from the inside they just open, if a gust of wind blows, they open. Is there anything that can be done to keep them secure?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

08-15-16, 09:12 AM   #2  
Are these interior or exterior? Usually the ball catch is adjustable (usually the ball part turns to adjust the height, and therefore the tension) and that may help a little, but it sounds like the lock is not setup properly. Can you give us a closeup of the latch area with the doors closed and both sides of the latch area with the doors open?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

08-15-16, 09:35 AM   #3  
It's a balcony door leading out into open air. I can't provide pictures I'm not at the site, and I have to install them today. I just looked up french door installation videos and people just put something called a "flush bolt" on one of the doors to keep it in place. I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the french doors though, but not much options right now. Thanks.

Group Moderator

NE

08-15-16, 10:02 AM   #4  
You can probably install hydraulic closers on both of them. Some allow the door to be fixed in the open position as well.

08-15-16, 08:42 PM   #5  
I ended up putting on the slide bolts today, they work, so it should be sufficient in the meantime. Thanks.

Search this Thread