Cracks/Gaps around Internal Window Frames

Old 08-23-16, 02:51 PM
Cracks/Gaps around Internal Window Frames

Hi to everyone,

Really looking for some advice please. Over past week the bedroom and kitchen windows are coming away from the walls, resulting in 1/2" gaps. Builder has checked and found no external cracks or movement. Property is two storey brick flat, roughcasted and painted, built 9 years ago. Had slight movement over the years but nothing like this.

Windows are wood with locking mechanisms around frame. Could this potentially be to do with the locks? I have attached photographs, your help would be appreciated.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

How do the windows operate? If they open/close and lock fine I'd cut out the old caulk and recaulk.

Old 08-23-16, 03:23 PM
Thank you Marksr. The windows open without problem but when closing and locking the handle down fully, they are very tight. There was no caulk originally where the cracks have appeared, builder suggested filling gaps and repainting but I don't want to do this if the cracks are going to reappear.

Old 08-23-16, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't say if there is any movement with the trim or if it will come back but it's always been SOP to caulk the stationary parts of the window.

Old 08-23-16, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
My question would be, can you wiggle the frame of the window in and out at all? If there is movement, that's bad.

Looks like those windows should have a small piece of perimeter trim (like base shoe) around them to cover the gap... so that there is less to caulk.

Old 08-23-16, 03:55 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention, the builder also noticed that the metal hinge (arm) at the top and also bottom of one window have both snapped. I wasn't aware of this whilst opening or closing it?

Old 08-23-16, 04:03 PM
There is no movement with the window or frame at all, internally or externally. Possible causes of damage in his opinion: the locks or malicious damage. Suppose I'm looking to clarify this or find another cause. Also he's suggested clamping the internal framework to outside wall but unsure if this is necessary?