What's a good threshold for this door?

Old 09-16-16, 07:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's a good threshold for this door?

What's a good type of threshold to use for a condo entry door, where the entry door is accessed via a common area hallway (much like, say a hotel room)? I've enclosed a picture of the current situation. Right now, the door swings over the entryway tile, with very little clearance...about 1/8" or so. I'd like a solution that avoids having to cut into the existing tile and hopefully, also avoids trimming the bottom of the door. Since the hallway is indoors and heated, there is really no need for any weatherstripping per se, but I would like something that kind of dresses up the entryway. The tile installers just slopped grout at the transition. One idea I've come up with is to install a "sill cover" over the tile/carpet transition, but that's about all I've come up with. I would like something in a dark bronze metal finish, rather than some kind of oak threshold. Any and all ideas are appreciated!!Name:  012.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 09-16-16, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The tile guys should have installed a schlueter edge under the tile... for shame.

Google Pemko bronze threshold. I sure you will find something you can cut to fit.

Old 09-17-16, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Brant, such a sloppy way to transition their tile. I am not sure what tools you have available, but a multimaster with a scraper blade may help remove the grout that is showing and allow you to slightly undercut the thinset on the tile, back 2 1/2". Once that crevice is created, you may can epoxy in one of the tile transitions he mentioned making the transition look much better. Schluter Schiene Aluminum 3/8 in. x 8 ft. 2-1/2 in. Metal L-Angle Tile Edging Trim-A100 - The Home Depot

For less than $10, you got a poor deal and a bad looking transition.

Old 09-17-16, 09:29 AM
J
chandler: But wouldn't I have an ugly void between the metal tile edging and carpet (where the sloppy grout was)?

Xsleeper: Thanks. I'll check them out.

Old 09-17-16, 10:14 AM
J
I just had a thought that I could take a standard threshold (see picture) and cut it lengthwise right at the right edge of the well of the vinyl seal (leaving just the "exterior" portion), and then butt that cut end against the tile (after removing the crappy grout). The threshold height should be pretty close to the height of the tile. I can fill any gap between the threshold and tile with some dark bronze silicone caulk. Whattaya all think? Name:  threshold.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 09-17-16, 10:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't know that I would go to all that trouble to get ugly. Try a simpler attach by installing this if you don't want the tile transition. TrafficMASTER MetalDecor Oak 72 in. x 1-3/8 in. Carpet Trim-18517 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: