Size:  41.1 KBName:  IMG_3211.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  18.0 KBName:  IMG_3214.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  34.5 KBName:  IMG_3215.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  42.2 KB

Hi,
This commercial door seems to be in good shape but the problem is door brushes against threshold and will not close without a little help. I tried adjusting closer with straight screws but did not help. The pictures may not show it, however it does look to be sagging about 1/8 inch lower than the other door.
At the top of this door I see three allen screws, what are these for?
sorry some photos are not oriented correctly, but when I view them in windows 10 they look correctly oriented.
thanks in advance,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Sill isn't level and left door bottom pivot needs to be raised up.

Old 11-04-16, 07:18 PM
Is there a procedure for raising the bottom pivot? Perhaps I would have to remove the door first?
thanks in advance.
Greg

Old 11-04-16, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Can't see the door pivot in your photo. You might have to remove the door. Or you may be able to pry the door up and adjust the pivot.

Some pivots have a set screw. See this video at about 4:10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYTdh3V6c4

Old 11-09-16, 07:02 PM
XSleeper,
thanks for the reply and video. I couldn't look at the door today, but will try next Wednesday as you say to adjust the lower pivot. I'll try to get some photos of the lower door hinge area also.

Old 11-23-16, 03:40 PM
Ok, here is an update and new photos:
Name:  IMG_3231.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  35.4 KBName:  IMG_3232.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  15.9 KBName:  IMG_3233.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  18.8 KB
The problem remains the same, door not closing by itself and looks to be sagging slightly compared to the other door.

I think I need more direction on how to safely remove this door and remove the closer temporarily.
Do I need to remove those allen head screws at the top hinge area, what do they do?
Do I need to pry down on a spring loaded shaft to remove the door?
thanks in advance guys,
Greg

Old 11-23-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
One of our door gurus might be familiar with that pivot, I'm not. My advice would be to put a pry bar under the door and see if you can raise it up any... or if it's solid. If you can raise it even a little, look to see if you can get a thin wrench around the bottom collar and turn it counter clockwise. Some adjust that way... if yours is threaded, that would raise the door. The wrenches are specialty thin wrenches... not the kind you would normally use on a car or find in a hardware store... although you could probably grind one down and make it work if you had no other choice.

You also say it's not closing correctly. Tell us the brand name on the outside of the door. It looks to have a concealed closer on top. Knowing more about the closer might help. It might be one like this: http://www.constructionwitness.com/P...r-Closers.aspx

Old 11-23-16, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Here is another site that i believe shows the type of concealed closer and type of arm you might have ... Replace Jackson 20-330 Concealed Overhead Closer Assembly - Doorware.com

The side load arm is what looks to have your 3 screws. Can't give you much advice, but at least maybe this points you in the right direction. Any commercial locksmith in your area probably has experience with them, so if you decide not to diy, you could always give one a call.

Old 11-26-16, 02:01 PM
Xsleeper,
thanks very much for your reply! it helped me understand what and where parts are in the door. I'm sure my door is a side-load arm as you said. I found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg1Ffjfd2BM

I'm now sure I can take off the plate with three allen head screws and then push the top of the door off the closer shaft!
Once I remove the door, I am hopefull I can adjust the door upwards as you suggested.

I'll reply back in about two weeks or whenever the church allows me to proceed.
Greg

Old 11-26-16, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good, yeah that's a decent video, same kind of closer Jackson / International. Like he mentioned, replacements are available on Amazon, from suppliers like CR Laurence.

Old 11-28-16, 12:03 PM
one more question...After I get the top of door off closer arm, is there any trick to removing bottom of door off lower pivot? Hopefully there is room to just pull off the door

Old 11-28-16, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Your video describes that at about 9:20.

Old 11-28-16, 05:10 PM
ok, got it. slide door so bottom pivot is near edge/corner.

Old 11-28-16, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Here is another video, similar setup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CyctKrLa_Gw

That door just sits on a shoe, so yours might be similar. If either the roller or the shoe gets worn, the door will sit lower and drag. So it can either be adjusted (if it's not too worn) or if it is too far gone, it can be replaced.

Old 12-01-16, 02:33 PM
OK, thanks for the info. I'm hoping I can just adjust pivot as you say. I will probably take the door off in a week or two.