Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deadbolt reminder?

WA

11-19-16, 10:53 PM   #1  
Deadbolt reminder?

Some member(s) of our household keeps leaving the entrance deadbolt unlock. I want to install some sort of reminder that makes a sound or flash lights if the deadbolt is unlocked for more than a few minutes.

I found one such device selling on amazon, but it has poor review. Has anyone got a better idea?

When locked, the bolt handle is in horizontal position and open when vertical. Can someone think of a simple way to put together a deadbolt reminder?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-20-16, 04:23 AM   #2  
You are trying to mechanically change the way people do things. They will ignore the warning as well. You will spend money for a contraption that won't help, IMO. Retrain the thinking is the only way to get around it. It's OK to yell now and again.

Group Moderator

MN

11-20-16, 04:50 AM   #3  
Look into electronic deadbolts. I have one on my shop door that will lock the deadbolt after 2 minutes automatically. The keyless keypad is also quite nice! I believe it is a Quick Set brand but I suspect other brands will do the same. There are also deadbolts out that are "smart" and connect to smartphones and/or your home network.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

Search this Thread