Window springs??


Old 11-27-16, 08:27 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 86
Window springs??

Hi All, bear with me if I use the wrong terminology. I have a question about our approx. 20 year old Certainteed windows. I currently have one that will not go all the way up and it just doesn't sound right when it is operated within the amount of distance that it will open. This is where i'll need some support on my improper terms. It appears that in the track on both sides of the windows that there are two plastic type thingys that are apparently (?) spring loaded with what I call a long type of metal in ribbon form that rolls up inside these plastic things due to some kind of spring loaded system (?) The bottom portion of this ribbon is attached to the slide that the bottom of the window goes into. Upon closer inspection it appears that one of, or both of the ribbon type springs on one side of the window have broken as the very thin metal ribbon material is all kinked up inside the track. The actual ribbon is not broken, but it is all kinked up inside the track as though it wouldn't re-track inside of its housing, thus keeping the window from going up all the way. So my question is....can these "Springs" be replaced ? It seems as though they should except for the fact that how do they come out of the track ? There is a small opening at the top of each track that has a plug type thing in it. Is that there so if these parts do need to be replaced that one can remove the plug thingy and slide the broken springs up and out of the track ? Hopefully I haven't totally confused everyone and someone will be able to chime in with a good suggestion. And as always....Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-16, 03:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,381
Likes Received: 12
There called balancers.
Got some pictures.
Yes they can be replaced.
Worth it, not likely.
Old 11-27-16, 03:30 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 22,281
Likes Received: 56
No way to know for sure without pictures... but if it is like a ribbon it sounds like a constant force balance. If it is more like a long tube with a spiral rod, those are spiral balances. Either can be replaced, but since we aren't psychic it's hard to say what part you need or even if it is still available. Knowing the right term is half the battle, so google constant force balance and see if the images look like what you have.

Swisco is a good place to start when looking for parts.
Old 11-28-16, 05:16 AM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,938
This sounds like what you have. CertainTeed used these type of balances.
Try and search for "constant force balances".

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes