Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fill for underneath exterior door threshold?

OR

12-01-16, 03:10 PM   #1  
Fill for underneath exterior door threshold?

Put in a new exterior door that fits really well and sits very well on the concrete perimeter foundation. On the outside portion of the door, the threshold sits in the corner of a concrete patio that slopes away from the house. Because of this, the downhill side has about 1/4"-3/8" gap. Every time I step on that corner of the threshold, it sags. I'd like to fill underneath this corner with something more solid that caulk. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

12-01-16, 04:08 PM   #2  
I would try mortar. .

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Group Moderator

NE

12-01-16, 04:15 PM   #3  
I hope the door is sitting in a heavy bead of sealant to seal the bottom from water intrusion. If the gap is 3/8" or less, I would use pairs of tapered composite shims every 8" or so... then use a polyurethane sealant... either OSI Quad Max, or maybe Loctite S10.

What color is the sill? Mill aluminum? Brown?

VA

12-01-16, 04:24 PM   #4  
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Looking to see if there's room for the needed support against the outside wall that sits up under the overhang of the threshold.
Also know as a kickboard.
https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...td5aTRhhPJM%3A

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

12-01-16, 04:26 PM   #5  
I would tape off the area and fill the gap using a grout bag.
I redid the stucco on my house and this solution worked well to support the threshold before finishing the exterior.
X is the man though for doors.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Search this Thread