Trim... around my patio door glass?

Old 12-18-16, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trim... around my patio door glass?

The trim around my patio door window has failed. How do I replace this? It looks like the interior trim is screwed together to the exterior trim to seal up the gap. What's it called? where do I get it? It a fabricated plastic piece.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
Don't know what you are describing. You could always post a picture.

Old 12-18-16, 07:37 PM
It's just the trim around the glass, but I've never seen trim like this. Screws go through the interior trim through the gap between the glass and door to tighten to the trim on the outside of the glass. It tightens to then seal the gap. I just don't know where to get it or another way to replace or repair it.

Old 12-18-16, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
If it's got screws, why can't it be taken apart and reused? Is it broken? Sure it's not aluminum? What brand of door?

Old 12-18-16, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures are always very helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-18-16, 09:45 PM
It's positively plastic. It's broken, cracked and cannot be repaired or reused. I'll post a photo tomorrow and see if that's helpful.

Old 12-18-16, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Hey guys, sounds like it's the typical plastic light frame like you see on all sorts of doors, from Jeld-Wen to Stanley to Masonite.

Bereabuck...if it is indeed what I think it is (raised away from the flat part of the door, either a smooth or slight woodgrain finish, either divided up to simulate separate panes of glass (multiple lites) or just one big square (single light), you can order them from Home Depot, Lowes, prob Menards, or just about any place that sells a bunch of doors. You need to have specific measurements and it's not the outside of the plastic frame normally. They come in 20" (for 30" and 32" doors) and 22" (for 36" doors) widths and various lengths. If you measure the outside of the small flat part of the trim (towards the glass) to the same place on the opposite side, you should get close.

Take a look here for more info...check some of the info links as well. http://www.allaboutdoors.com/Product...ntry-Sidelites

Old 12-19-16, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
For some reason I was imagining a sliding patio door. Yeah as Vic mentioned, those plastic frames can usually be ordered from box stores. If you don't want to mess around its good to get new glass along either the frame.