Top wood sash sliding down

Old 12-30-16, 03:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Top wood sash sliding down

The top wood sash (old double hung window) slides down if the window is not latched. There is one metal window tension spring installed on either side of the sash, but it does not hold so good -- I think because of the weight of the sash. Sash measures 36 wide by 38 tall. It is an old window, very heavy with wavy glass and would be expensive to replace. I do not want to glue/nail the top window shut, because I want to be able to remove it for cleaning.

Are there any metal brackets or fixture I could install to keep the top sash in place? I have seen the following items for sale online, but I don't know their purpose or if they would resolve the issue:

sash spring bolt
sash stay
stop bead adjuster

Thanks!

Old 12-30-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd say your weights and ropes arent hooked up if you have pulleys. If not, get a pair of these.

Spring Quickie Wood Window Sash - Wood Sash Hardware, Steel - Chrome

Old 01-03-17, 02:15 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old 01-03-17, 07:05 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We have already used the metal spring window sash thing. It does not hold up a heavy window. I do not know if you need to install two springs on each side if the window is large or what.

I will email Killian's Hardware and see if they have any suggestions.

Old 01-03-17, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
2 springs per side won't hurt. You didn't say if you have pulleys or if the ropes are broke or what. Spring bolts would likely work to keep it in place, but you would have to drill the holes for them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: