Masonite door question

Old 01-06-17, 01:59 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Masonite door question

Hi,

I have steel Masonite smooth finish door leading from the basement to the outside. Along the entire perimeter of the door, on the sides, there is a groove. Pictures attached. I wonder if I can attach extra weather stripping to the door itself. Is that what this groove is for? If yes, what type of weather stripping goes in it?

There are areas where the jamb weather stripping is not enough, and I would like to know if I can add to it for better insulation?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-17, 02:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your pics didn't post - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

If it's what I think it is, it's a thermo break between the 2 sheets of metal.

Old 01-06-17, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No. I think the groove you are referring to is just the groove that the steel door skin wraps around.

If your weatherstrip isn't sufficient, then its likely the door isn't plumb... or lacks corner pads... or needs a threshold adjustment or the strike plate could be adjusted so the door shuts tighter.

What is your issue specifically?

Old 01-06-17, 02:05 PM
V
Thanks. Makes sense. I seem to be unable to attach anything from work PC (likely their security). But what you said makes sense.

Thanks again.

Old 01-06-17, 02:10 PM
V
Draft coming from the corner at the level of the lower most hinge. When cold, that hinge is all iced up. Other parts seem to hold very well.

Old 01-06-17, 02:13 PM
V
Draft coming from the corner at the level of the lower most hinge. When cold, that hinge is all iced up. Other parts seem to hold very well.

Door is new and the jamb weather strips are fine. Can feel strong draft from that one area around the hinge.

Old 01-06-17, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When you get a chance, maybe post a picture that shows the weatherstrip on that side with the door closed... and open. I'm assuming the hinge weatherstrip is the soft foam q-lon kind, and the top and latch side weatherstrip is magnetic?

It is possible to replace the weatherstrip with one that is thicker.

Old 01-07-17, 08:11 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Weather stripping would be attached to the jambs not the door.
Grab the door handle and without turning the knob pull it in and out to see if the door has room to move.
It it does you may be able to do a simple latch plate adjustment.
Open the door and look inside the latch plate, most have a rectangular hole where you can insert a flat screwdriver to bend the tab to make the door close tighter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: