Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Glazing or Caulk for Polycarbonate Pane in Old Basement Window?

IL

01-10-17, 10:42 PM   #1  
Glazing or Caulk for Polycarbonate Pane in Old Basement Window?

Bought an old house. The dryer vent was ran through a basement window (old window, all aluminum with two 12hx15w separated single glass panes).
The pane on the side the dryer vent exited had been removed and replaced with a very thin piece of sheet metal (tin?) and had a hole cut into it for the 4" vent hood to be installed in. When replacing the vent hood I went ahead and fitted a polycarbonate sheet instead of the tin. I know it isn't the best but it's better than what was there.
What should I use to install the poly sheet in the aluminum window frame? A glaziers point wont tap in unless I force it through the metal, and I'm suspect of just using caulk/silicone. The stuff that's on there now looks like grey putty (or even mortar) so I assumed it was some type of glazing but honestly I have no idea. I just don't want anything that reacts with the poly and actually holds in a wind storm.
Sorry, I'm a total noob at windows. Thanks guys.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-11-17, 03:07 AM   #2  
I would use glazing compound. It can be bought in tubs or in caulk tubes with a square applicator tip. DAP 10.1 oz. Latex Window Glazing-12108 - The Home Depot

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-11-17, 03:39 AM   #3  
I prefer SWP's 66 Glazing compound as it's not as oily as DAP and keeps your fingers cleaner
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...azing-compound

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

01-11-17, 03:57 AM   #4  
Well, guess I have to be the odd man out. I'd use recommended caulk from this list. Very small bead on inner side of outside lip of frame, then press the poly into it. Use rubber tubing or something to hold it (or a helper) while you clean up the exterior from any squeeze out. After it cures, take out supports and use bigger bead inside frame to lock it in position.

http://www.palramamericas.com/docs/f...patibility.pdf

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-11-17, 04:32 AM   #5  
Nothing wrong with setting the pane in a thin bead of caulk as that will help it to seal better. IMO you get a nicer looking job if you use glazing on the exterior side.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

01-11-17, 06:50 AM   #6  
Clean out the old glazing compound completely. Put a small bead of Alex Plus or silicone sealant on the face of the outside lip and press the polycarbonate against it. Put a bead on the outside wide enough to contact the frame and the polycarbonate. Glazing compound does look better as marksr said.

IL

01-11-17, 04:30 PM   #7  
I got the DAP... got it home... read the back.......... can't use on plastic.

Going back for something off gunguy's list

Super Moderator

AZ

01-11-17, 09:49 PM   #8  
Yep, as the guy explained from where I got the list, you want as good a seal and adherence as you can get. If it drys out, cracks, breaks down from UV, pulls away from the window, it will let water in and rapidly degrade the install. Not all silicones are good and not all are bad. Alex Plus with Silicone is just ok, Regular ALEX or ALEX Flex is no good. Most polyurethanes are a no go but some are ok. Hey, the list is based on actual testing, that's what I liked.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread