Cracking lift-rails on windows

Old 01-11-17, 08:00 PM
Cracking lift-rails on windows

The plastic lift-rails on several of my windows started cracking off in large chunks when we bought our house. We have avoided opening the windows on the second floor where they are most brittle and we need to find a solution. The windows were replaced in 1991 but as mentioned they are vinyl and the house was vacant for over a year so I'm sure temperature regulation was poor during that time. Regardless of the reason, which could also include that they are crap windows, I am looking for a way to reinforce the lifts. I am wondering if there is some type of sleeve out there I can slide over the exisiting lift? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
I have heard if this and seen it a few times. Not really any way to prevent this other than not using the lift rails. Many people will grasp the top part of the front sash and push upward on the top part of the sash to raise it and then put their hands on top of the sash and push down to lower it and not use the lift rail at all. Yes, the older a window gets the more brittle it becomes. Was probably a cheaply made window to begin with.

Nothing else can be done, probably cant even screw on a pair of steel handles due to the proximity of the glass edge to the spot the screws would need to be.

Old 01-12-17, 02:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! can you post a picture or two of the failing parts. Not close ups, just regular pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-12-17, 05:17 AM
Name:  IMG_5348.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  19.2 KB

Here is a photo of the issue. Thanks for the feedback. I wish we had the budget right now to replace them all.

Old 01-12-17, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
As mentioned you can grab the edge of the sash. There is usually a little lip where the glass meets the frame. You can also screw or rivet on new handles but I prefer to install a 3/4" x 3/4" strip of aluminum angle, painted white, to the bottom of the sash to act as a handle. The long strip allows for more mounting screws to spread out the load and going from edge to edge it looks like part of the sash and not a repair.

Old 01-12-17, 07:07 AM
Thank you!! I will try installing the handle onto the sash.

Old 01-12-17, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Just make sure you do not drill or screw into the glass.

Search this Thread