Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing windows looking into a Florida room

PA

01-24-17, 08:03 AM   #1  
Replacing windows looking into a Florida room

I am looking to replace two 1960's or 1970's windows that were originally looking out back, but the previous owner put a Florida Room on the back. The room is unusable until I get the money to insulate the floor and figure out venting the space. The two windows in question span a 6' W x4' Tall space. They are drafty as can be right now and I have them sealed in plastic to keep the cold air out. My question is what type of window should I put in there, vinyl, wood, fiberglass and should I do one large window or replace the two windows with exact sizes? Thx for your help in advance!

Sponsored Links

ME

01-24-17, 08:55 AM   #2  
Hi dj, well you know the air isn't coming through the glass so that leaves any air leaking in to be coming from around those windows. However, the cold inside air next to the glass will fall and feel like an air leak. The leaks around the perimeter can be sealed, but cold glass would need an expensive replacement. Are those windows currently single pane windows or double. If single then new double pane will make an improvement, but they will still be cold.

Bud

Search this Thread