Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wood under strike plate damaged by termites.

FL

02-23-17, 08:48 AM   #1  
Wood under strike plate damaged by termites.

The wood under the strike plate of my bathroom door is damaged by termites. Both the wood that supports the screws of the strike plate and the hole that receives the latch (mortice) are damaged. The strike plate has been ripped off the wood.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

02-23-17, 09:04 AM   #2  
Do you have a question we can help you with?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

02-23-17, 09:21 AM   #3  
Be sure termites are gone. Clean all loose wood out area..Use a hardener on wood. Fill cavity with a fiberglass filler There are kits with hardener and fiberglass. here is a page of different fillers.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Wood-filler...m=wood+fillers

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-23-17, 09:48 AM   #4  
Before you start, poke the rest of the jamb/casing with an ice pick to make sure the termite damage is limited to that spot. Is your house on a slab or crawlspace?

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

02-23-17, 10:19 AM   #5  
Another welcome to the forum,
Termites don't walk across exposed wood at least my variety. They usually eat their way to whatever location where you discover them. If you are on a slab then i would expect significant damage elsewhere along with that door frame.

Slab?

Bud

VA

02-23-17, 12:51 PM   #6  
No way would I just patch that up and move on!
There's going to be a lot more hidden damage behind the jambs.
I'd be removing the whole door jamb and all and calling for a real termite treatment.
And no this treatment is not a DIY job!
Someone tries to sell you on a Sentricon type bait stain treatment, kick them out of the house.

FL

02-24-17, 02:27 PM   #7  
My question is what would be a quick fix for this problem without having to put in a new door frame?

FL

02-24-17, 02:42 PM   #8  
I would like instructions on how to patch this up. First to put this patching material on how would I do this without filling up the hole where the latch goes in? The hole is called the Mortice. Then also how would I screw the strike plate back on to this patching material, wood filler, etcetera? The strike plate needs to be screwed back on.

FL

02-24-17, 02:57 PM   #9  
My house is on a crawlspace

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-17, 02:58 PM   #10  
Basically you'd just apply the filler over the damage and then remove what filler gets in the striker plate hole before it hardens. You can drill it out after it dries but that is more work. The main thing is making sure the termites are gone!!

I'd crawl under the house and check for more insect damage.

Group Moderator

NE

02-24-17, 03:24 PM   #11  
If there is not enough meat left for the screws, you may need to drill a couple holes where the screws go, and glue in some long pieces of wooden dowel that you have glued up well.

FL

03-01-17, 12:42 AM   #12  
How do I remove the filler before it dries?

FL

03-01-17, 12:45 AM   #13  
Once the dowels are in how do I screw the new screws into them?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-01-17, 03:35 AM   #14  
You can remove the filler with a knife or chisel. After the glue holding the dowel in place has dried it's no different than screwing into the original wood, drilling a pilot hole for the screw is best.

FL

03-05-17, 08:15 AM   #15  
Can I put screws directly into filler?

Can I put screws directly into the filler to attach the strike plate? I don't have a drill to make holes an then to put wooden dowels into these holes.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-05-17, 09:35 AM   #16  
Filler won't hold screws as well as a dowel will. Might be ok if the screws are long enough to go into the wood that is behind it.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

03-05-17, 12:05 PM   #17  
Use a 2 or 3 inch drywall screws and you should hit stud behind frame. JKust don't tighten them to much or you will pull frame out of shape.

MO

03-14-17, 08:07 PM   #18  
Look for a product called Plast-Aid. It is a powder and ointment that when combined, coagulates and hardens in about 15 minutes. As it is hardening, it becomes putty like. In this form it is plyable and can be formed or used as a putty. As it continues to dry and harden it becomes like ultra hard nylon. At the end of its cure you can drill it and reinstall your screws.

Great product and sells for about $20

FL

04-16-17, 10:06 AM   #19  
Strike plate repair in progress, trying to use suggestions used here.

I was going to put in a dowel, but when I scraped off the rotten wood all of the wood scraped off. Name:  bare wood.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  31.6 KBUnder this wood was another very hard wooden wall. there was no termite damage to this wood. But between this wood and the strike plate there was now a large space about an inch thick and 4 inches across. There is really no place to put a dowel. The directions of Miniwax wood filler says to put in pieces of wood to fill the hole, this goes over a thin layer of wood filler. I am thinking about trying this but there is nothing to hold the pieces of wood securely except the wood filler. Should I just put the wood on top of the filler and hope that it holds it like glue? Should I use wood glue to attach the wood to the wood filler? People here have suggested I use wood glue for the dowels. By the way, I already filled the hole with Miniwax wood filler before I saw the instructions to put in pieces of wood.Name:  miniwax filler.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  35.0 KB I made a hole in it to for the latch of the door. It is pretty hard and I am wondering if I should just try to screw the strike plate directly onto the filler or scrape the filler out and put in pieces of wood. So far the wood filler is at least holding the latch better than the termite damaged wood.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-16-17, 11:38 AM   #20  
Since you've already used the filler, I'd just take screws long enough to secure it to the stud to secure the striker plate.

FL

04-16-17, 04:22 PM   #21  
Would like to try to put wood under the strikeplate.

I would like to try the putting pieces of wood under the strike plate. I am just not sure if this would be strong since I am not putting the wood into a hole that would hold it into place. If I was using dowels I would drill a hole and stick the dowel into a hole which would hold it into place. In this case the hoIe is too big to put dowels in and I will be putting the larger wood pieces onto Miniwax wood filler. I don't know if I should use wood glue as was recommended to me before when I was told to use dowels. I can try the wood glue or try to put it onto the Miniwax Wood Filler while it is wet. I don't know which is better, wood glue or just using the Miniwax Wood Filler. I still have the short screws that were attaching the strike plate before. I don't want to go look for bigger screws and don't want to try to attach the strike plate to the hard wood that is deep under it. I wanted to know how just attaching the short screws to the wood filler only would compare to attaching it to the filler mixed with the recommended blocks of wood.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-17-17, 02:37 AM   #22  
Sooner or later screws that are just in the filler will fail, it's best to have the striker plate secured by screws that go into wood.

FL

12-20-17, 10:12 AM   #23  
putting wood blocks into wood filler.

I am considering putting wood blocks to mix with the wood filler. This way I can put screws into the wood. But I am wondering what is going to hold the wood?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-17, 11:30 AM   #24  
I think what you are wanting to do is a dutchman. Basically you cut out the damaged wood, then cut a new piece of wood to fill the void. That piece is normally glued and nailed in place. Filler is used to eliminate any gaps.

Search this Thread