Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

installing a front storm door : furring up the existing frame?

installing a front storm door : furring up the existing frame?

Old 04-27-01, 08:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I have to 'fur' up the existing door frame to except a storm door. I have a front door with two side lights and the frame of the door is 35". The door is 36' exterior front door. It is one unit and I need information in creating a frame for installation on the storm door. Please help!!!. I would like to do this ASAP. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

jj taylor

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-01, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I just finished installing a storm with the same situation.
The storm door specs for the "width openings to fit"
measurements were 35 1/2 - 36 3/8. This door will not fit onto the 36" door facing properly! The best solution is to find a door to fit closer storm door dimensions for the door opening/facing you are installing it on.
My solution was to add a 1/2" furring strip on the hinge side and thoroughly screw it to the facing except in places where the hinges fit. A piece of 1/2 x 1" moulding strip was used and ripped to fit the space needed. After the door was purchased and installed, further research into the subject revealed not all doors are equal! If you can get another door get one with closer fit measurements and it should work all right. LARSON makes storm doors that fit openings 35 7/8 to 36 3/8". MI HOME PRODUCTS makes a door with fit dimensions of 36 - 36 3/16"
I can feel your unhappiness, I just had the situation today and it took 6 hours to do a simple job that should have taken 1 hour, like it used to. Nowadays, nothing is standard , and you have to research very thoroughly before you purchase anything.
I hope this makes your day a little brighter or more informed.
Pacesetter22330
4-28-2001