Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing windows that are in the foundation.

MO

03-24-17, 04:42 PM   #1  
Replacing windows that are in the foundation.

I have a few old windows that sit in the top of he foundation of my house. They are single pane, and they sit inside metal frames that are embedded in concrete inside rough openings that are the cinder blocks of the foundations, but the bottom of the rough opening is a triangular concrete block that slopes downward toward the inside. I want to replace them with something more modern. Nothing in this house needs to be pleasing to the eye. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these triangular concrete blocks (or whatever they are) and can give me some help with how I remove them to create a regular old rough opening that I can just pop a new window into.

Name:  DSCN6104 - 2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  36.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-24-17, 05:56 PM   #2  
The sloped cap on bottom will get knocked off, (it is just solid mortar) and then ground down with a cup grinder until it's flat. To do that, you will need to remove the sash, bend the top of the frame down with a pry bar, then cut it with a sawzall. Pry down on it and try to wiggle the sides loose. Use a rotary hammer to undermine the bottom portion of the frame. Once you make a hole under it, cut through the iron with a sawzall. The tools you need most are sawzall, rotary hammer, big wrecking bar and a 3 lb hammer and cold chisel. The grinder and cup wheel will clean up the bottom.

Your foundation looks like it is concrete block so expect to find voids under the cap that you will nred to plug and mortar. Be careful as you hammer, you don't want to blow up your concrete blocks, especially on the outside edges.

The iron side pieces are mortared into a notch in the block. Sometimes making a couple relief cuts in the sides with a grinder and 1/16" abrasive wheel will weaken it enough that it will collapse inward on itself as you pry. The minute you see daylight behind the frame as you pry, stop and slice the iron clear through. Work on bending each side in at the middle where it is the weakest.

Search this Thread