Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Sound proofing seal for entry door (similar to weather-seal?)

Sound proofing seal for entry door (similar to weather-seal?)

Old 03-25-17, 10:04 PM
Sound proofing seal for entry door (similar to weather-seal?)

Is there a tape or a seal that I can put around our door jamb all around where it would make a sound proof seal?

We recently changed the old hallow entry door with a fire door (I thought fire door would have a much better seal) but it doesn't seem to have a perfect air tight seal due to the materials around the door and possibly the frame is not %100 even. So we can still hear the noise clearly.

I was wondering what can I use that could help cut down the noise?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 04:01 AM
Just wander around the aisles of the big box stores, tons of foams and seals for weatherproof.

I would think a thin 1/4x1/2 foam tape inside the jamb will close off the air gap when the door is closed to seal out the noise.

Old 03-26-17, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you change the frame as well? Fitting an aftermarket door to an old frame can have problems of its own. Post a picture or two showing the door, frame, and points where the leak is.

Old 03-27-17, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
You use two entirely different phrases in your question - 'soundproof' and 'cut down the noise.' The latter is possible but the former is nearly impossible, at least on any reasonable budget.

Just wanted to make sure you understood the difference.

Old 03-28-17, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Yes I shouldn't have said soundproof, I just wanted to cut down the bare noise that enters through gaps around the door. I do not expect anything can completely eliminate the noise, and to be honest with old houses like this even if I spend big bucks to get a completely sound proof seal, the noise would find other places to leak into the house.

Chandler, we changed the frame completely, in fact door went from 30 to 32 so we had to cut some 2x4s and make room on top, however I realized that the moldings are not completely sealed either, so I will go around above and below all moldings and frame with a quick-dry sealer first. The areas where the noise is coming in mostly is on the hinge edge and a bit on the other side, it seals better when we lock the door, squeezing the existing foam seal but it is a different type of seal around the door. I don't want to remove it so I will start by using foam on the top and hinge edges first.

I don't want to make the door harder to close either. A thin strip on the inside edge and outside edges of the hinge side should help, but the bottom will difficult. I am thinking about getting a little piece of wood and gluing it to the floor, then sticking strip on it so the door closes against something that makes a seal.

When I turn on the outside light and turn off the lights inside, I can see the light leaking where the gaps are apparent. I was hoping Home Depot would sell something more rigid like actual hallowed out rubber strip not foam strip.

Old 03-29-17, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How secure did you install the door? It sounds like the prehung wasn't installed correctly Have you checked to make sure the door is plumb and the gaps between the door and jamb are even?

Old 03-29-17, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, you should use a minimally expanding foam between your house framing and the door framing to reduce sound and air infiltration. I agree with Marksr that the door is possibly not plumb and square in the opening. Posting pictures of the door opened and closed from the inside and out may give us a hint to help you seal it up. Face it.....it was sealed at the factory, so it should be sealing in your house.

Search this Thread