Water leaking in through window :(

Old 04-03-17, 12:45 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking in through window :(

We had wind driven rain last week. I saw water dripping in through 2 tiny holes (interior and exterior picture attached). Water is only coming in through the left side of the 2 holes. The earlier homeowner had drilled holes in the vinyl to mount blinds. We removed the blinds. But that was 5 year ago and the holes have been empty with no water ever leaking. We recently had our bathroom redone. The half semi circle window above it is dry. Is it a good idea to apply silicone to the 2 tiny holes? I am overwhelmed with home maintenance issues. Any help with this is highly appreciated!Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  26.4 KBName:  FullSizeRender 4.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  32.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-17, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, you can seal those interior holes. You should also check the slotted holes outside (called weepholes) to ensure they are not blocked with debris. Dust, leaves, twigs, bugs, etc. If they are clogged, that could lead to water backing up into the interior.

Old 04-03-17, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
They picked the worst possible spot to drill holes... those holes inside are lower than the weep holes outside. I would have more confidence suggesting OSI Quad (white / Lowe's) because silicone doesnt adhere to vinyl very well. Clean up with paint thinner after you caulk the holes and tool it flat.

Old 04-03-17, 06:13 PM
N
Thank you! I did apply silicone but I will get the OSI quad sealant as well and seal it. We have rains tomorrow and this week. Hope the silicone holds till then!

Old 04-04-17, 03:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
You'd want to remove the silicone before applying the OSI Quad. The silicone should be ok in the mean time, failure is more apt to come with time and temp changes.

Old 04-08-17, 07:36 AM
N
Can anyone give me any idea of what could be the cost range to replace the half round mulled to a double/single hung window with new windows? I understand the siding would have to be removed to instal them though I do not wish to replace the siding. Can we put the old siding back after windows are replaced?